Johnson Control's Buildings Efficiency Group is seeking a full time Electric Motor Engineer position in the Power Electronics Team located in York, PA. A qualified individual shall have as a minimum of BS degree in Electrical Engineering and seven (7) years of experience in the field of Electric Machines (motors and generators). A graduate degree with focus in Electric Machines and experience in Power Electronics is strongly preferred. Expertise in design, test and service of motor-driven electro-mechanical systems is also required. The following specific set of skills is desired for this position:
This individual will be responsible for design of all aspects of variable speed drives for HVAC compressor applications ranging from 300 horsepower to 1,300 horsepower.
Electrical Engineering Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of electrical and magnetic materials.
- Comprehensive knowledge of electric and magnetic circuit-solving methods in time- and frequency-domain.
- Experience with non-sinusoidal waveforms and methods for solving circuits in which such waveforms are present.
- Proficiency in use of simulators to design/develop/model circuits and systems.
- Proficiency in use of software tools to document designs.
Electric Machine Skills:
- In-depth knowledge with induction motor, PM synchronous motor, and switched reluctance motor technology in terms of design of electric motors and electrical, thermal, and vibration analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of induction motor steady-state and dynamic (transient) models; ability to implement such models in a state-of-the-art simulation tool (e.g. Saber). Ability to extend induction motor modeling techniques to other motor technologies.
- Strong experience to use advanced design tools such as Finite Element Analysis to design induction motor, PM synchronous motor, switch reluctance motor, or other motor type.
- Capability to analyze induction motor loss and efficiency and related issues. Ability to extend this knowledge to other motor technologies.
- Experience of motors' electro-mechanical design principles, including rotor and stator manufacturing principles, shaft dynamics, and bearing issues.
- Good understanding of the issues related to motor/drive interactions, such as motor insulation failures due to non-sinusoidal voltage waveforms, increased motor loss due to non-sinusoidal voltage and current waveforms, bearing voltages and currents.
Other skills and requirements:
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Ability to independently develop approach to solutions.
- Ability to plan complex projects and system development for multiple products or product families and/or programs.
- Ability to define specs for multiple projects or product family.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
#nextchapter Job Qualifications:
- Must have minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering with minimum 5 years of professional experience in the field of Electric Machines (motors and generators)
- Expertise in design, test and service of motor-driven electro-mechanical systems
- Experience with 3 phase power and high horsepower
- Project Management abilities
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with Senior Management
- Power Electronics skills are not required qualifications, but highly preferred to support cross-functional teams
- A graduate degree with focus in Electric Machines and experience in Power Electronics is strongly preferred
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.