Performs duties, with limited supervision or engineering guidance, utilizing knowledge and skills commensurate with the requirements of this position. Performs varied modeling and detail assignments of advanced technical nature requiring full use and application of drafting methods. Designer will assist Engineers on new products from concept evaluation to successful launch.
Shift: First Shift, Monday-Friday; overtime available
Benefits: Eligible for health and retirement benefits on first day of employment
Vacation: 3 weeks of paid vacation per calendar year
• Provides frequent, significant support to other teams and suppliers.
• Supports and provides technical direction on specific work assignments.
• Participates in the development and/or improvement of new and existing products for design change, cost reductions, warranty improvements, and manufacturability.
• Assists with evaluation of vendors.
• Defines and/or interprets electrical wiring and control requirements for products.
• Understands and communicates electrical safety standard requirements.
• Defines and performs product prototype building and evaluation. Calculates product cost working with Corporate standards.
• Coordinates across programs and with other groups.
• Assists product launch with field installation evaluation.
• Participates in manufacturing pilot runs.
• Generates business opportunity ideas such as work productivity enhancement, product cost improvement, and cost avoidance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Associate Degree in electrical engineering/technology or equivalent trade school certificate. Will accept military training/experience.
Clear understanding of Ohm's law and standard electrical calculations.
High proficiency with Microsoft Excel. Proficiency with other MS Office products.
Ability to obtain and interpret datasheets for electrical and control components.
Ability determine electrical wiring requirements.
Required: proficiency and minimum 3 years experience with the following:
Electrical schematic design using CAD software.
Electrical component/panel layout using CAD.
Bill of material structures and databases.
Engineering change management.
Manufacturing electrical support.
Parts database structures.
Experience creating schematics with AutoCAD
Familiarity with electrical codes such as NEC and UL 1995, specifically as they apply to equipment wiring.
Two to three years' experience in HVAC or closely related field.
3D CAD design experience, preferably Solidworks.
Proven track record of successful product design.
Concise and clear written and oral communication skills in a cross functional environment.
Design for manufacturability concept knowledge and application with emphasis on electrical wiring.
Ability to maintain focus for long periods of time.
Ability to deal with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism. Possess a professional appearance and positive work attitude in accordance with work area and Company policies.
Able to develop skills necessary for advancement.
Ability to work overtime as needed.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.