Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Emerging Payments, Product Manager Job Description
The Emerging Payments Product Manager will lead the systematic collection of information related to emerging payment market developments, and its integration into PULSE's emerging products strategy and documentation. Reporting to and taking direction from the Director, Emerging Products, this position will:
Seek: Identify and maintain documentation on next generation debit payment strategies, initiatives, and technical developments, including those related to Faster Payments, remote cardholder authentication, merchant offers, Internet of Things, omni payments (e.g. line busting, online grocery) and alternative to debit payment models.
Engage: Initiate discussions of PULSE Product Managers with potential partners, including Fintechs, to seek opportunities and better understand developments and implications for PULSE payment strategies.
Integrate: Update and maintain PULSE emerging product strategy decks related to overarching enterprise strategy and key strategic payment spaces.
Develop or assist in developing and executing strategic product plans for key initiatives such as the introduction of new PULSE products or the ongoing management of existing products. These product plans will reflect compelling and unique offerings that are attractive to existing and prospective clients, issuers, merchants and/or acquirers. This role reports to the Director, PULSE Debit Strategy and this individual will work within the Emerging Products group of PULSE Product Management with general responsibilities focused on developing and implementing enhancements related to emerging payment technologies.
Primary responsibilities include enhancing and managing EMV, Token Payments, and 3DS across PULSE product lines, including PULSE, Discover Debit, Debit Solutions (Visa and MasterCard gateway), and PIN Network issuer gateways, and building effective sales materials, communications, and internal training and support. This Manager is the lead subject matter expert to PULSE functional departments on how emerging technologies are supported within products, and assists sales as needed in its business development activities.
In this position, you will participate in cross-functional solution teams, including internal departments (Sales, Operations, BT, Law Division and Pricing) in the development and execution of products or program enhancements. Following mature product development, the position manages products with an awareness of competitor offerings, customer take up, consumer utility, etc. and identifies strategic opportunities to enhance each product.
*This role is ideally located in Houston (TX) but remote candidates will be considered.
- Develop or assist in developing overarching product plan(s) for key initiatives:
- Analyze competitor offerings to determine what is available in the marketplace.
- Conduct secondary market research to assess customer needs and expectations; determine need for primary research and lead effort if agreed upon.
- Design a compelling product offering that differentiates the network.
- Lead the development of the pricing strategy; work with Pricing to ensure that product is priced appropriately and executed across all constituents.
- Develop communication strategies for affected parties (merchants, acquirers, issuers) and work with branding and communications to execute.
- Document strategies into cohesive plans and provide regular management updates.
- Assist with issuer sales efforts
- Create effective sales and marketing strategies; lead efforts to develop and maintain effective sales materials.
- Present product plan and benefits to issuer sales team and issuers themselves.
- Play a key role in managing the initial development and ongoing feature set of assigned products, as well as their operational/system functionality:
- Develop detailed product functionality requirements.
- Create a thorough work/implementation plan.
- Work through requirements across all key stakeholders - internal and external.
- Write and periodically edit all external documents related to regulations and policies assigned to those products or programs you are responsible for.
- Ensure accountability across the organization.
- Maintain and communicate budget, timelines and all requirements.Manage the mature product on an ongoing basis:
- Create and manage product P&Ls. Develop meaningful and accurate reporting to denote product progress. Monitor pricing, marketing, operational, system and communications needs.
- Stay abreast of industry trends to enhance product if necessary. Provide management and key client updates on regular basis.
- Promote a risk-aware culture; ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Bachelor's degree in business, information systems or related field
- 8 years of relevant work experience in financial services, with 2 years work experience in payments preferred
- Aptitude for working with technical documentation and relating to functional product requirements and implications
- Aptitude and desire to collaborate with Sales, other client facing staff, and clients themselves as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and professional speaking skills
- Excellent influencing skills/ability
- Action and deliverable orientated
- Highly curious and oriented to continuous learning
- Comfortable with operational and technical information at the functional level
- Strong Powerpoint skills and the ability to clearly summarize information and concepts graphically
See job description.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.