Engineer V – Packaging
The position is responsible for developing new packaging technology for CCR Southwest Operating UNit. The candidate will leverage relevant packaging trends, consumer trends, business trends and technical guidance research along with system capability to develop new packaging. The role will include looking both at re-application of ideas from The Coca-Cola System as well as working with external resources. The scope of a typical project will include idea generation, proof of concept, design, business case development, technical development, pilot and trial activities. The candidate will have demonstrated the ability to assist in successfully developing commercial packages. Development will be executed using a Stages and Gates approach with projects eventually being transitioned to Coca-Cola Refreshments Packaging Commercialization.
- Planning and Organizing: Establishing courses of action for self to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a committed member of a team and working with other team members to help complete goals and deliverables.
- Problem Analysis: Forming an opinion or making a decision through careful testing of assumptions and facts; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Acting with Integrity: Maintaining a commitment to honesty; models social, ethical, and organizational values; firmly adhering to codes of conduct and ethical principles.
- Prototyping: Knowledge of basic prototyping technologies.
- Field Testing: Knowledge of field test procedures for packaging. Ability to tailor test protocols for individual technologies.
- Project Management: Knowledge of project management principles and the ability to apply the principles, tools and techniques to develop/plan, manage and execute projects or work-plans to ensure successful completion (e.g., on time, within budget).
- Intellectual Property: Knowledge of securing intellectual property rights.
- Drives Cross-Discipline Collaboration (Applies understanding of Research & Development process or Scientific and Regulatory processes, including: Design, fabricate and evaluate/assess (e.g., through laboratory testing) a working package, equipment or product prototype/sample against technical requirements, fit to concept or performance specifications (e.g., functionality and operational feasibility).
- Participate in team projects, interdepartmental/divisional committees or company-wide initiatives in order to share information, represent the department/division perspective or assist with product development, process modification, package development and marketing. Modify existing ideas/concepts through an interactive process to improve product packaging.
- Project Management (Sets strategic priorities and guides processes for planning work and monitoring progress to achieve desired outcomes.) Leads multiple small projects or supports larger projects within their functional area. Creates project schedule for their work.
- Technical Communication for Business Effectiveness (Advises and educates colleagues by disseminating key facts and presenting complex information in a concise and easy-to-understand manner.) Documents and communicates routine technical data.
- Advanced Packaging: Knowledge of packaging materials (e.g., can and end, closure, glass bottle, plastic bottles, and thermally processed and sensitive beverages). Includes knowledge of material design, functionality, performance standards, specifications and test procedures. Also includes knowledge of manufacturing, filling, supply chain and costing.
- Building a Business Case (Uses influence and negotiation, paired with convincing scientific, consumer and economic data, to create a compelling business case for new ingredients/products/packages/processes/policies/strategies.) Collects the technical information in their functional area and other areas of technology for someone to build a business case for a project.
- Bringing Innovation to Market (Generates and translates innovative ideas into feasible, practical, and cost-effective ingredients/products/packages/processes/ policies/strategies.) Contributes using known information and their own new ideas within their area of technical expertise to bring projects to market with minimal help from others.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging or Engineering
- Must have 5-10 years of relevant experience in package engineering for a major CPG company or packaging supplier.
Coca-Cola Refreshments is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Coca-Cola’s success would not be possible without the world’s best employees. We invite you to challenge yourself, join us and prosper.