Job Profile Summary:
Accountable to provide technical and managerial leadership to technicians in the UPG Heat Lab and Model Shop, and technical and planning guidance to the engineering design team and UPG Engineering Leadership. Comprehends a wide variety of testing and associated HVAC industry and regulatory standards, as well as manufacturing and transactional processes. Possesses sufficient business experience to allow him/her to understand and contribute to involved projects spanning cross-functional teams. Is capable of communicating effectively at all business levels. Can effectively lead the lab through identifying and implementing high-impact improvement projects. Day to Day (what a typical day or week look like in this role):
What You Will Do:
- Drives an environment and culture within the lab based on Lean Six Sigma (LSS) rules, principles, and tools.
- Coaches lab personnel in the implementation of LSS projects and processes to eliminate waste, solve operational issues, and improve efficiency and speed of operation.
- May lead or coach others in significant projects that could completely redesign processes.
- Manages and tracks improvement projects and their impact on KPI's within the Heat Lab and Model Shop.
- Provides planning and direction for a team of employees. This includes model makers, technicians, and supervisors. Leads and manages a group of Test Technicians in the creation and execution of "test to learn" development test plans and approval test plans for UPG Norman engineering projects. Leads and manages a group of model makers in the creation of prototype parts to support project schedules.
- Manages department budget to forecasts and plan.
- Identifies safety, quality, and cost improvement opportunities and drives problem solving with appropriate cross-functional teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned by UPG Engineering management consistent with company policies and procedures.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to technicians, model makers, and supervisors in the UPG Heat Lab and Model Shop.
- Provide technical and planning guidance to the engineering design team and UPG Engineering Leadership.
- Expand usage of Six Sigma and Lean tools within the lab.
- Lead problem solving teams and assign continuous improvement projects to the team.
- Track the impact of those projects on KPI's.
- Develop strategic plans in which business goals and objectives are met; talent development, customer-focus and employee engagement.
- Manage department budgets (Capital and Expense).
- Practice positive employee relations and develop self and others.
- Promote teamwork and communications.
- Ensure appropriate change management is executed for projects.
#external Position Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required. Degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology (BSME, BSMET, BSEE, BSEET) preferred.
- More than 3 years of experience leading a group of people. This includes coaching employees, people development, performance evaluation, salary management, budget management, etc.
- Experience implementing Lean / Continuous Improvement projects in an organization.
- Experience using 6 sigma tools and problem solving methodology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HVAC industry standards, particularly those related to gas and electric heat testing.
- Ability to travel 5-10% of the time.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.