Join Schneider Electric and power your career!
Discover the opportunity to join an international, dynamic, and responsible company that fosters the development of its people around the world. Every day, we empower employees to achieve more and experience exciting careers. Find out how our values and unique position make Schneider Electric the employer of choice. Schneider Solar is a rapidly growing business within the Schneider group. We are building the next generation of power conversion products for photovoltaic (PV) and energy storage (ESS) power plants. Our products enable the growth of renewable energy sources around the world.
We are currently seeking an Functional Manager – Electrical & Power Electronics based in our Livermore, CA USA location. The Functional Manager will line manage the department and ensures engineering projects are completed in accordance with internal & external customer’s expectations, and regulatory & corporate requirements while facilitating on budget, on time deliverables. This leader will identify and implement measures to reduce costs, reduce cycle time, improve quality, enhance innovation and develop employees.
The role calls for a positive, confident, highly motivated individual with both strong engineering and leadership skills.
1 - Responsibilities:
1.1 - Mentoring: Function managers are typically technical leaders who have the expertise to act as a technical mentor. When the functional lead is not appropriate for a specific topic, he/she would leverage their familiarity with the functional group to make suitable recommendations.
1.2 - Recruiting: Functional managers will be actively involved in the recruiting process. Starting with a needs assessment, functional heads will help determine the skill sets required for a specific position and then match those needs with internal or external candidates. Functional managers will be responsible for applying standardized technical reviews as appropriate, reviewing career objectives, clarifying responsibilities, and assuring a good professional match.
1.3 - Performance Appraisals: Functional managers will be responsible for coordinating performance appraisals and for collecting feedback from relevant program and other functional managers. Leads will have a significant role in monitoring the technical and professional progress of employees in his/her section.
1.4 - Career Development: Functional managers must be aware of the expectations and career objectives of each section member. Working with program managers, leads will endeavor to match employee expectations to opportunities while developing strategic capabilities within the discipline. Understanding the strategic objectives of the Solar Business and the types of skills that are required, functional leads will also make training and development recommendations.
1.2.5 - New methods and Best Practices: Functional managers will have the primary responsibility for monitoring and, as appropriate, adopting new methods and technologies relative to their discipline. Leads will also ensure that the discipline members understand and use current and appropriate best practices within the discipline. Leads will coordinate and attend design reviews and schedule regular meetings of discipline members to encourage employees to disseminate their knowledge to others involved in their discipline.
1.6 - Standards: Functional managers must be aware of the discipline’s practices and help to establish, review and revise standards that will help employees apply previous experiences to improve future work. Leads will ensure that members of the function are aware of existing standards, that they have a method for learning how and when to apply these standards, and that they understand the process for establishing new standards.
1.7 - Intellectual Property: Functional managers will be responsible for monitoring relevant IP activity within their discipline. This includes review of outside patents and developments, as well as driving and developing SE’s own IP.
1.8 - Project Staffing & Planning: As engineers complete projects, functional managers will make recommendations for future project staffing and ensure that projects are staffed with the correct skills to optimize project success. Functional managers own and continuously improve work breakdown structure for their discipline. The functional leads support project planning by ensuring optimal work breakdown structure is used and supporting their team creating accurate effort and duration estimates.
2 - ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
2.1 - EDUCATION
• Must have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field.
• Post Graduate technical degree or MBA preferred.
2.2 - EXPERIENCE
• Must have a minimum of 8 years of engineering experience with responsibility and focus on Power Electronics and its supporting digital systems (controls, embedded application, software application, etc.).
• Preferred experience
○ of 3-5 years of Function Management experience
○ with other functions involved in new product development; Service, Mechanical, Software, Manufacturing, Test Engineering, Product Marketing, etc.
2.3 - KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Knowledge and experience with:
○ Control and modulation schemes related to 3-phase power conversion systems.
○ PCBA design practices for high speed and mixed analog/digital designs
○ Current simulation and analysis tools (Matlab Simulink, Physics simulation tools, etc)
○ Embedded systems
○ FMEA and FTA practices
○ Global compliance standards
• Preferred knowledge and experience with:
○ Utility grid operation, and power condition principals utilized by 3-phase, grid-tied converters.
○ Magnetics design & high current magnetics design
○ EMC/EMI design practices and troubleshooting
• Must be a proven leader who can influence others, even those outside of Engineering and other functional Engineering teams. Must be able to develop and mentor a diverse staff.
• Customer focused with good relationship building skills.
• Highly motivated and an independent leader comfortable working in a fast paced environment.
• Must possess good written and oral presentation skills and the ability to communicate ideas effectively to senior management.
• Familiarity with Project Management practices
• Highly motivated and be comfortable working with limited oversight in a fast paced environment.
• Effective time management and organizational skills; ability to manage or be a team player in a number of projects within a fast paced work environment.
2.4 - WORKING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENT/SPECIAL REQUIRMENTS
• Ability to work in a safe professional manner adhering to all corporate and regulatory requirements including, OSHA, EPA, State and Federal regulations.
• Availability for 15% domestic and international travel
A little about us:
We’re the global specialist in energy management and automation. Our technologies ensure that Life Is On everywhere, for everyone and at every moment.