What you will do
Join our team as a Project Manager to plan and lead projects that define, develop, and deliver the next generation of Smart Building Products to help our customers manage their energy usage, security, and building operation costs. Direct project activities as well as manage project schedule, scope, risk and cost.
Requires in-depth knowledge of project management methodologies and techniques. Demonstrated efficient utilization of resources and skills through effective planning and leadership in a matrix organization. Experienced in Project Management integrating multiple systems using industry-wide standards in both software and hardware. Seeking solid experience managing complex projects and programs working with diverse, multi-disciplined project teams.
How you will do it
• Form high-performing, self-directed technical teams that take high-level product concepts and drive them through the evaluation and exploration of potential solutions.
• Thrive in the front-end phase with ambiguous definitions, fast direction changes, while managing technical risk and uncertainty.
• Manage high-powered technical resources such as software architects, systems engineers and project technical leads to converge on a direction.
• Work with Stakeholders from Product Management, Strategic Planning, and executive management to obtain knowledge in regard to key strategies and requirements while maintaining focus on deliverables.
• Apply formal software and hardware engineering and Project Management processes and best practices to ensure high-quality product delivery.
• Work closely with Product Management, Program Management and Engineering Management organizations to balance scope, schedule, cost, quality, resources and risk.
• Develop and follow a Project Management Plan; set team project goals, plan project deliverables, establish project schedules and milestones; manage all aspects of project schedule including risk with critical focus on quality.
• Manage and lead assigned project team members in daily activities; communicate and coordinate activities along cross-functional boundaries.
• Manage geographically dispersed teams across multiple physical locations and time zones.
• Report and review the progress of project(s) with the stakeholders; formalize communication plan to ensure timely, accurate information and updates are provided to appropriate stakeholders.
• Execute multiple complex projects from concept through requirements, design, development, testing and deployment.
• Create strategies for risk mitigation and contingency planning maintaining a keen focus on project-level needs while working within the framework of larger, multi-project and program business objectives.
• Collaborate with other Project Managers, Program Managers, and Engineering Managers to coordinate efforts and define and leverage best practices.
• Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations and training.
• Enhance team excellence and raise the Project Management bar by accepting ownership for accomplishing new, challenging and diverse requests, and by continually exploring opportunities to increase the value of job accomplishments.
What we look for
• Bachelor of Science degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or an equivalent technical field. MS or MBA preferred.
• 5+ years of experience as a Project Manager. PMP certification a plus.
• At least 8 years' experience using various development lifecycles to deliver highly technical, software-based/embedded systems and solutions in an engineering organization.
• Experience managing multi-discipline teams through the full Software and Hardware Development Lifecycles
• Experience organizing and leading teams from concept definition phase to manufacturing readiness
• Experience with various development methodologies including waterfall, iterative and agile methods
• Excellent analytical, logical and project management skills. High level of personal credibility at all levels of the organization.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficiency in changing communication style based on audience (technical, non-technical, executive through individual contributor.)
• Ability to clearly convey concepts / solutions to the business in appropriate terms.
• Ability to manage multiple, potentially changing priorities and effectively coordinate activities across teams.
• Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills.
• Demonstrated experience leading and influencing individuals and teams without formal organizational control.
• Strong consensus building, conflict resolution, and persuasive skills.
• Ability to demonstrate objectivity in decision making to ensure the right decisions are made in a timely manner.
• Experience in exercising mature judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
• Experience utilizing multiple problem-solving techniques; ability to devise new problem-solving approaches as issues arise.
Who we are
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process please email SpecialAccommodations@Tyco.com
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.