Every day, Baxter touches the lives of millions of patients and providers worldwide who rely on our essential hospital and renal products and services. You'll find Baxter's products and therapies on nearly every floor, in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. Baxter's employees are building upon the company's rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care. Our commitment to our mission means we are there when patients and healthcare professionals need us, during the critical moments that matter most.
Baxter has long been on the forefront of developing innovative solutions for patients with kidney disease. This position offers a unique and exciting opportunity to contribute to the design, development and support of Baxter's Cloud based software that is related to our connected medicine strategy. The Cloud based software will support connectivity of medical devices (Internet-of-Things "IoT") and mobile devices in the home and in clinics. The Cloud based software will support management of medical treatments at home/clinics and also enable management of the supply chain related to various medical treatments. The Cloud based software will also have an analytics component that will enable improved clinical outcomes and enable Baxter to develop better strategy based on deep insights.
You will be responsible for developing products that customers love and also provide creative solutions associated with the design, development, and sustaining engineering for our new and existing software product portfolio. The successful candidate will possess solid "hands-on" technical abilities, an excitement and energy for product development, and a passion for their work and the impact it has on meeting the needs of patients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Develops a solid cloud based product architecture that balances requirements from multiple stakeholders including customers, marketing/product owner, program management, operations, quality assurance, regulatory and service. Responsible for architectural governance to ensure that product(s) architecture, design and implementation is consistent with architecture. Must ensure that architecture allows meeting time-to-market requirements, exceeding quality targets, quick diagnosis of problems in the field, quick diagnosis of issues during product development and requirements evolution (scalable / extensible).
2) Solves and / or manages the solution to platform level problems that are highly complex, ambiguous, and diverse in scope. Proposes and drives solutions to complex technical challenges where little precedence exists
3) Ensures inclusion of diverse inputs into product and technical design reviews, across locations, and geographic and cultural boundaries
4) Contributes to intellectual property (IP) creation initiatives. May hold patents that secure a competitive advantage for our products, assist with freedom to operate assessments and/or provide litigation support.
5) Understands and leads resolution of competing constraints among inter-related functions (e.g. engineering, manufacturing, regulatory, marketing) required to deliver products to market.
6) Leads cross functional teams and integrates external teams to delivery of a project of high technical and strategic complexity.
7) Responsible for creating the technical component of a project plan which includes developing schedules for those products or subsystems, provided as input to the full cross-functional project schedule
8) Recognized outside the immediate team for broad technical expertise as evidenced by solicitation for input on a variety of complex issues.
9) Creates concepts and design patterns to guide and enable less experienced engineers. In certain situations may be responsible for full implementation of key modules/sub-systems. Leads feasibility work or other similar technical risk reduction efforts.
10) Is capable of leveraging off-the-shelf and open source software to provide solutions in the time needed. Ability to do analysis of build vs buy.
11) Responsible for creating highly innovative and contemporary Devops architecture.
12) Responsible for ensuring all product development is done while complying with applicable standard-operating-procedures and regulatory standards.
B.S in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or related field and 10 years of related experience.
1) Proven expertise in defining architecture of products based on cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud. Highly experienced in PaaS (Platform-as-a-service) architectures such as ElasticBeanStalk, Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) and Heroku.
2) Experience in creating product architectures based on microservices is highly desired. Experience with IoT is highly desired. Experience with developing mobile apps is highly desired.
3) Proven expertise in developing contemporary continuous integration/continuous testing/continuous delivery (CI/CT/CD) pipelines
4) Highly process oriented and demonstrated proficiency in various software development lifecycle methodologies including Agile, Iterative, V-Model, etc.
5) Knowledge of medical device software development is highly preferred including knowledge of standards such as IEC 62304, ISO 14971.
6) Must have participated in several projects which lead to successful product introduction in the marketplace and at least some of them had significant positive business impact.
7) Deep and broad understanding of many technological areas below:
a. IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-service): Amazon Web Services (AWS). Additionally experience with Azure is preferred.
b. PaaS (Platform-as-a-service): ElasticBeanStalk, Terraform, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, etc.
c. Cloud based BI platforms: Redshift, Kafka, Amazon Kinesis, etc.
d. Visualization platforms: D3, Tableau, etc.
e. CI/CD: Jenkins, Git, Chef, Puppet, etc.
f. Defining test architectures based on the cloud.
g. Frameworks: Spring, Node.js, Angular.js
i. Enterprise Integration: Enterprise Integration Patterns, SOA, SOAP/REST, Microservices, etc.
j. IoT: Axeda, etc.
k. Middleware: Liferay Portal, Apache Tomcat, Oracle Weblogic
l. OS: Windows Server, Linux, etc.
m. Dev Tools: Eclipse, SVN, Git, JIRA, Fisheye, Sonar, Clover, etc..
n. Mobile: iOS, Android, Windows, etc.
8) Ability to convince management on courses of action using both written and verbal methods. Effective oral and written communication skills.
9) Demonstrated success in delivering results on several technical challenges.
10) Very passionate about continuous learning and constantly keeps up with industry trends. Leverages current technology and processes for creating highly innovative software solutions that can be introduced in the marketplace in the time needed.
11) Believes in her/his ability to successfully take on new and difficult challenges, question the status quo and take risks.
12) Ability to reduce an overwhelming amount of information into a few salient issues
13) Brings a can-do-attitude to work and inspires others to raise their performance bar, highly organized and brings quality orientation to everything they do (emails, document, code, etc.).
14) Experience with test driven development (TDD), Behavioral Driven Development (BDD) and automated testing is desired.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an email to Corporate_Staffing_Deerfield@baxter.com or call 877-229-4748 (877-BaxHR4U) and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
A little about us:
Our employees are connected by an enduring commitment to save and sustain lives. This higher purpose binds us in doing work that matters.