Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for an Enterprise Architect - Connected Solutions. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Responsible for assessing, defining and championing the IT architecture strategies, principles, policies and standards in alignment with the IT strategy and governing their use; coordinates with project teams to create, document, assess and/or validate the application and infrastructure solution designs for specific systems.
- Responsible for the research, evaluation, and selection of application, technology, and infrastructure standards.
- Leads the analysis of the technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Creates project and technology roadmaps and define migration plans to mitigate the gaps between the current and future state.
- Develops standards for the specific function or technology domain and defines design patterns and configurations that can be reused as building blocks for other solutions.
- Leads and facilitates the creation of governing principles to manage change and guide solution decisions for the enterprise.
- Ensures coherence and completeness across all Cummins Technology Reference Model (CTRM) disciplines.
- Maintains positive relationships with IT and business leaders to effectively promote and communicate IT architecture value proposition.
- Collaborates with IT stakeholders to apply IT strategy to architecture future state architecture and develops roadmaps to realize future state.
- Defines and ensures effective metrics to measure standards adoption, reuse, and demonstrate value.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging technology and software trends focused on driving comparative advantage for CMI.
- Cultivates strong relationships with industry experts; participates and may present at conferences and round tables.
- Performs complex cost/benefit analysis when researching future state capabilities.
- Coaches and mentors less senior Architects.
- Collaborates with project teams to understand requested capabilities and recommends the right set of technologies to meet the needs.
- Provides infrastructure capacity recommendations for new applications and systems.
Skills and Experience Required
- Lifecycle Management - The management of an IT Asset or component from inception throughout its useful life. The Planning phase decides to Replace or add new, Re-engineer, Retire, or Retain/Maintain it.
- Solution Design The activities involved in conceptualizing, defining, architecting, and ultimately designing complex systems.
- Appling Standards to Solutions - Able to apply industry and internal IT standards to solutions and to assess compliance of a solution against industry and internal IT standards.
- System Development Methodologies - Able to apply industry defined development techniques to create or modify IT solutions.
- Research - Able to conduct a process of steps used to collect and analyze information to increase our understanding of a topic or issue.
- Modeling - The ability to represent information following a defined standard, using a combination of graphical and textual elements. The ability to choose the correct type of model for a particular set of information, depending on the type of information to be communicated as well as the audience who will consume the information.
- Relationship Management - Creates relationships with new acquaintances quickly and confidently; works to build trust and partner with stakeholders; successfully manages both internal and external relationships (e.g., vendor relationships); is comfortable in a challenger role that, at times, requires building constructive tension in interactions.
- Influence - Applies different approaches to convince others to change their opinion or plan, and wins support from others for ideas; is able to build support with peers without direct lines of reporting across a matrix organization.
- Decision Making - Considers the relative benefits and costs of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one; acts decisively and swiftly; identifies problems and drives toward solutions; takes on responsible roles and accountability for outcomes even when things go wrong; is comfortable making difficult decisions.
Business skills and methods
- 10-15 years' experience serving as an architect within a medium to large company or consulting organization including 2 years in an enterprise architect role
- Understand, advocate and augment the principles of business and IT - and more specifically Enterprise Technology Architect (EA) - strategies.
- Must have experience with cloud based solutions and IOT Platform, services oriented architecture, standard APIs, web services, mobile development, online transaction processing, batch processing/scheduling, technologies like AngularJS, Java, Linux, JSON/Restful APIs, XML/SOAP, HTTP, and HTML.
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technical configurations, technologies and processing environments
- Must have a collaborative style and be able to influence stakeholders to hold enterprise standards and if something needs to be changed work with the peer architects to make that happen.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge of all components of a technical architecture
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Ability to estimate the financial impact of technical architecture alternatives
- Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Preferred experience in microservices, agile development methodologies as well as DevOps tools, basic understanding of rules engines, business process management, containers. Experience with AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud, Familiarity with SQL Server and other databases (relational and NoSQL), data warehouses, Hadoop, data analytics, self-service analytics, and master data management (MDM) .
Education, Licenses, Certifications
- Proficient and demonstrated skills in Business case , business capability models for digital business and a good understanding of strategic planning process
- Enterprise architecture skills
- Proficient and demonstrated skills in Business modelling, business process design, organization design, architecture principles design, solution modelling, building block designs, and good understanding of architectural design principles.
- Good understanding of the business transformation and managing business change, agile methodology.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience required. Compensation and Benefits
Base salary commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.