Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
Improving Lives. Improving life for everyone. A subsidiary of Shire, BioLife is an industry leader in operating high quality plasmapheresis centers throughout the United States. At BioLife Plasma Services, we excel at caring. Caring for the quality of our lifesaving services, caring for the donors who help make it happen, and caring for the communities we call home.
BioLife's part-time employment opportunities are among the best, offering competitive pay, immediate benefits, paid time off, on the job training, advancement potential, a work schedule which allows you to balance your work and personal life AND an environment full of fast-paced fun all while working to save lives.
We are currently looking to fill part time positions supportive of our operating hours, ranging from 10:00am - 10:00pm weekdays and 10:00am-9:00pm Saturdays. This position will typically work 30 hours/week
For specific location center operating hours visit: biolifeplasma.com.
Responsible for all Medical History job skills in order to screen new and repeat donors for eligibility to donate. May also perform entry-level Phlebotomy floor skills as assigned and trained to complete.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Comply with federal, state, local and company-specific regulations related to quality of product, employee and donor safety and to the proper performance of day-to-day activities.
- Committed to meet customer service expectations, greeting donors as they enter and exit the building.
- Answer phones within reasonable timeframe.
- Maintain orderly filing system, purging records as needed.
- Take and record donor pulse, blood pressure, and temperature measures and monitor electronic donor questionnaire system.
- Perform fingerstick, test sample, and record other donor measures to include hematocrit, total protein and weight.
- Enter donor information into the Donor Information System (DIS).
- Prepare and assemble new and repeat donor charts
- Assemble collection containers for plasma donation.
- Coordinate donors to donor floor and compensate donors using the Debit Card system.
- Maintain complete and accurate records, in accordance with cGMP.
- Stock supplies, break down empty cartons and assist with proper disposal.
- Install, prime, and disconnect disposable sets on the plasmapheresis machines.
- Operate, maintain, and perform trouble-shooting of plasmapheresis machines within scope of training. Refer advanced trouble-shooting to certified technicians.
- Monitor donors during donation process and respond to donor reactions.
- Maintain and calibrate equipment.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain general cleanliness of work area and assist other work areas as needed to ensure a clean and professional environment.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and other team meetings as needed.
- Supports the center management team in identifying operational opportunities for continuous improvement, initiating changes to center processes as needed, through use of company approved procedures (including but not limited to 5S, Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen).
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Ability to read and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and to maintain complete and accurate records.
Good verbal communication and customer service skills.
Ability to multi-task and work as a team player.
Education and/or Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Experience in a laboratory, hospital, or other regulated environment is highly desirable.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
Production environment requiring the ability to walk and stand for the entire work shift. Requires frequent leaning, bending, stooping, crouching, and reaching above the shoulders and below the knee. Requires frequent lifting up to 5 pounds, and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. Must have fine motor coordination, depth perception, and ability to hear equipment sounds from a distance. Due to potential exposure to blood borne pathogens (risk level 1), 90% of work tasks require pro-longed glove wear.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy Reasonable Accommodations
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.