Above fields are approved by Human Resources
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics. Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
A subsidiary of Shire, BioLife is an industry leader in operating high quality plasmapheresis centers throughout the United States. At BioLife Plasma Services, we excel at caring. Caring for the quality of our lifesaving services, caring for the donors who help make it happen, and caring for the communities we call home. Improving Lives. Improving life for everyone.
BioLife's employment opportunities are among the best, offering competitive pay, immediate benefits, paid time off, on the job training, advancement potential AND an environment full of fast-paced fun all while working to save lives.
Responsible for all Medical History job skills in order to screen new and repeat donors for eligibility to donate; and/or perform entry-level Phlebotomy floor skills as assigned and trained to complete.
All below listed responsibilities must be completed in compliance with federal, state, local and company-specific regulations related to quality of product, employee and donor safety, and to the proper performance of day-to-day activities. Employees must also maintain complete and accurate records, in accordance with cGMPJob Summary Primary Role
This position is responsible for performing job functions in Phlebotomy, and may perform Medical History job skills as assigned and trained to complete.
All below listed responsibilities must be completed in compliance with federal, state, local and company-specific regulations related to quality of product, employee and donor safety, and to the proper performance of day-to-day activities. Employees must also maintain complete and accurate records, in accordance with cGMP.Essential Functions Responsibilities
- Committed to meet customer service expectations (10%)
- Greet donors as they enter and exit the donor floor.
- Answer phones within reasonable timeframe.
- Maintain orderly filing system, purging records as needed.
- Perform all required duties in the area of Phlebotomy (including, but not limited to): (70%)
- Perform venipuncture of donors and programming of plasmapheresis machine.
- Monitor donors during donation process and manage donor reactions.
- Perform all duties required for the setup, verification, operation, and trouble-shooting of plasmapheresis equipment per SOP, within scope of training.
- Install, prime, and disconnect disposable sets on the plasmapheresis machines
- Stock supplies, break down empty cartons and assist with proper disposal.
- May perform all required duties in the area of Medical History (including, but not limited to): (20%)
Education & Experience Requirements Essential:
- Take and record donor pulse, blood pressure, and temperature measures and monitor electronic donor questionnaire system.
- Perform finger stick, test sample, and record other donor measures to include hematocrit, total protein and weight.
- Enter donor information into the Donor Information System (DIS).
- Coordinate donors to donor floor and compensate donors using the Debit Card system.
High School Diploma or equivalent required Desired:
Experience in a laboratory, hospital, or other regulated environment is a plus Key Skills and Competencies
- Living our leadership behaviors is a basic expectation for all Shire employees. Shire expects all employees to embody the following:
Other Job Components Complexity and Problem Solving
- Be Positive
- Be Accountable
- Be Results Oriented
- Be An Excellent Manager of Self and Others
- Ability to read and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and to maintain complete and accurate records.
- Good verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work as a team player.
Internal and External Contacts
- Responsible for providing exceptional customer service to donors (external) and fellow employees (internal)
- Refers to Center Manager for guidance on complex, medium-impact or above decisions (internal)
- Refers to management team for escalated donor/employee concerns (internal)
- Reports to Center Manager (Internal)
- Coordinates will all other center roles to effectively problem solve, ensure safety of staff and donors, and provide an exceptional customer experience.
- Maintain general cleanliness of work area and assist other work areas as needed to ensure a clean and professional environment.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and other team meetings as needed.
- Supports the center management team in identifying operational opportunities for continuous improvement, initiating changes to center processes as needed, through use of company approved procedures (including but not limited to 5S, Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen).
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Production environment requiring the ability to walk and stand for the entire work shift.
- Requires frequent leaning, bending, stooping, crouching, and reaching above the shoulders and below the knee.
- Requires frequent lifting up to 26 lbs. and occasional lifting of materials 32 lbs. - 50 lbs.
- Must have fine motor coordination, depth perception, and ability to hear equipment sounds from a distance.
- Due to potential exposure to blood borne pathogens (risk level 1), 90% of work tasks require pro-longed glove wear
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.