ENVIRONMENT SURFACE ARTIST – 343 INDUSTRIES (HALO)
343 Industries has one single mission: Build great HALO experiences. 343 Industries, part of Microsoft Studios, is home to the game industries top talent and we are dedicated to the HALO universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make HALO what it is today. And we need exceptional artists to help us achieve that goal.
343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated, experienced and professional Environment Surface Artist. This role will specialize in creating exceptional AAA quality Shaders, Materials and Texture maps for our environments and worlds. The ideal candidate will have superior eye and execution skills for color, composition, surface and material qualities. Additionally, you will have a strong understanding of lighting and physically based rendering techniques. You are knowledgeable and up to date on modern trends in real time shaders and materials and be well versed in creating texture maps with maximum visual impact that are also highly optimized.
You should have a strong understanding of the construction process for modern game environments including world building, layout and lighting. This candidate is expected to be extremely creative, highly collaborative and be effective in communicating and incorporating feedback. You will work closely with Lead Environment Artists, Shader and Graphics Developers, the Lighting Director and Art Director. The ideal candidate must be highly effective and positive in ambiguous situations, able to self-motivate to high performance, manage your time effectively and react quickly to changing requirements.
• Deliver Best-in-Class Shaders, Materials and Texture maps for real time environments
• Take ownership of the content and process through to completion
• Create and adapt materials to fit a given style (realistic vs. stylized)
• Partner with developers to build workflows, tools and rendering features for environments
• Constantly improve and advocate for best in class content creation and production practices
• Collaborate with peers to build the best player experience possible
• Create highly optimized shaders, materials and textures for real-time rendering
• Follow all technical guidelines and performance requirements.
• Work in ambiguity while still delivering timely and high-quality results
• Actively seeks out, incorporates and provides feedback to and from peers
• Highly motivated and contributes to a positive working environment
• 5+ years of environment art experience
Preferred Skills and Experience
• 2+ years specializing in real time materials, shaders and textures
• Strong understanding of physically based rendering especially with regards to textures and materials
• Thorough knowledge of PBR texture components (albedo, normal, roughness, metallic, etc.)
• Expertise in Substance Designer
• Superior eye for light, shade, color, form and detail
• Exceptional texture creation skills with a strong understanding of modern shader usage
• Understanding of photogrammetry techniques
• Experience with code based or node graph based shader creation
• Highly proficient with industry standard software like Maya, 3D Studio Max, Substance Painter, Zbrush, Mudbox, Photoshop or Mari
• Highly organized with excellent spoken and written communication skills
• Excellent Time management, Creative Process and Production Process skills
• Experience with a modern game engine (UE4, Unity, etc.)
• Experience working with large and diverse teams while working at scale
• Experience working on FPS or sci-fi games
• Experience with real-time lighting
All candidates must deliver a full resume with samples to be considered for this position.
Portfolio review and presentation will be required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.