The Microsoft Safety, Compliance and Sustainability organization has an immediate opening in Redmond, Washington for an Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) senior manager who will be responsible for leading and managing Health and Safety (H&S) regulatory and programs at Microsoft Devices’ development and manufacturing related operations worldwide. Are you ready to join a dedicated compliance engineering organization in one of the world’s best software, consumer electronics and entertainment companies? Help define and drive H&S compliance and best practices across our devices and packaging value chain in a digitally transformed environment. This position will report to the General Manager of Microsoft’s Safety, Compliance and Sustainability organization.
For more information on the work of the team, please see our FY17 Sustainable Devices and Packaging Report
Learn more about our broader team here http://www.devicesatmicrosoft.com/
The purpose of this position is to develop, implement and drive the Microsoft Devices’ group H&S requirements at contract manufacturing facilities and co-ordinate and promote Microsoft’s EH&S management systems and best practices at owned laboratory locations and across the devices and packaging supply chain. This position is critical to Microsoft in maintaining an international reputation for its regulatory compliance and commitment to environmental, occupational safety, health and environmental responsibility.
• Design and implement H&S programs, compliance strategies, and management systems.
• Inspect and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and work practices to ensure compliance with safety regulations and company policies.
• Manage key internal stakeholder partnerships with Manufacturing, Corporate Citizenship, Corporate Real Estate, Public Relations, Legal and Corporate Affairs, and Marketing to implement joint projects and provide business insight on governance, risk management, and controls.
• Globally manage and develop external strategic relationships with industry trade groups and non-governmental entities regarding H&S.
• Raise the technical knowledge of related groups through training and continuous professional development.
• Transfer risk and business knowledge to project teams and devices business groups to enable successful program execution.
• Identify continuous assessment techniques to monitor control effectiveness.
• Effect change by developing appropriate action plans to address program deficiencies, and ensure continuous improvement in a timely manner to effectively address the issues and underlying risks.
• Manage and conduct quarterly executive reviews and annual risk assessments on key program areas and communicate trends in risk and control issues to senior executives on the results of ongoing reviews.
• Keep current and increase knowledge of company strategies, priorities, and business objectives.
• Coordinate the development of global strategic injury/illness prevention plans to achieve both short and long-term improvement goals.
• Drive timely response to emergency safety and health issues or employee concerns.
• Prepare and conduct required regulatory training programs for Microsoft employees and contingent staff to increase awareness of environmental, safety and health issues.
• Lead incident investigations to identify root causes and implement corrective actions to prevent injury re-occurrence.
• Participate in the Microsoft Devices’ ISO 14001 working group.
• Champion the OHSAS 18001 management system.
• Introduce best management practices and resource conservation measures to reuse, reclaim, and recycle generated waste.
• Recognize and facilitate implementation of EH&S best practices across contract manufacturing sites in coordination with the Microsoft Supplier Social and Environmental Accountability team.
• Bachelors required. MS in occupational safety and health, industrial hygiene, chemistry, chemical or environmental engineering desired.
• 7-10+ years of hands – on experience in the EH&S field at manufacturing sites. Experience with electronics manufacturing preferred.
• Experience in the successful implementation and championing of EH&S regulatory and sustainability requirements for electronic products.
• Current knowledge of federal and state regulatory safety codes and standards such as OSHA/EPA, OR- OSHA/DEQ, and other non-regulatory safety standards and standards.
• Exceptional program management skills in a decentralized, empowered, and constantly changing environment.
• Demonstrated skills in building technically strong, highly motivated and passionate teams.
• Effective communication skills, with the ability to deliver controversial messages to senior management and address employee concerns with empathy and clarity.
• Ability to travel internationally to Asia, Mexico or South America for 2-3 week periods up to approximately 10% of the year.
• Track record of being a team player with experience of leading teams and influencing internal and external resources to ensure successful outcomes to complex problems.
• Must be flexible, innovative and collaborative and have a passion for working with global and diverse teams in an inclusive and supportive fashion.
• Substantial experience in effectively designing and implementing end-to-end projects requiring cross-group collaboration and implied authority.
• Very strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to bend, stand, walk and/or sit for majority of 8-10 hour shift.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.