Monsanto is seeking an exceptionally talented scientist to become an integral member of our multi-disciplinary Regulatory organization as an Environmental Toxicologist / Entomologist. This position is part of a cross-functional team that performs ecological testing and assessments critical to obtaining and maintaining registrations for crop protection products developed through the use of biotechnology. A primary responsibility of this role is the coordination of laboratory and field ecotoxicology testing and consideration of relevant literature and data to perform ecological risk assessments that reflect evolving scientific and political expectations to support product registrations.
Sustainable agriculture is at the core of Monsanto. Our best-in-class technologies deliver sustainable agriculture solutions that enable farmers to produce more crops while conserving precious natural resources. Monsanto Technology is comprised of a multifaceted group of scientists working together to revolutionize crop protection chemistries, plant breeding, and biotechnology. Monsanto is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a top 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and by Great Place to Work's Top 25 World's Best Multinational Workplaces.
Twenty years from now, the earth's population will need 55% more food than it can produce now. Today, Monsanto is working with farmers around the world to do something about it. In over 60 countries, Monsanto has established industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is an Employer Of Choice with an outstanding professional development program and a history of building careers. Make an impact by joining the team that is working to solve one of mankind's greatest challenges.
• Designing, coordinating, and initiating testing program to characterize activity spectrum, non-target organism effects and ecological risk of new products
• Preparing and reviewing ecological risk assessment reports to support registration of biotechnology-derived products
• Keeping abreast of scientific and political developments relevant to U.S., OECD, and global regulatory guidelines for environmental safety assessments of plant incorporated protectants
• Addressing agency and academic questions around ecotoxicology and ecological risk assessment of products with sound and supported scientific responses
• Driving publications in accordance with product strategy
• Representing Monsanto's support for science based environmental risk assessment internally and externally with industry, academia, government and public stakeholders
• Driving and leading new considerations/tools for NTO bioassays and ecological risk assessment on case by case basis--e.g. new modes of action
Required Education and Skills/Experience:
• Minimum of Ph.D. in Ecotoxicology or a closely related discipline
• Minimum of three or more years of professional experience monitoring and conducting GLP ecotoxicology studies and conducting ecological risk assessments for crop protection products
• Functional knowledge of biostatistics, experimental design, exposure assessment, and analytical methodology
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong project and time management abilities
• Agility to work on multiple projects and flexibility to meet business objectives
• Self-motivated and capable of functioning as an independent scientist while being able to work effectively in a team environment
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Knowledge and/or experience interacting with regulatory authorities and issue management
• Direct experience participating in industry task forces and/or work groups
• Experience with U.S. and/or EU ecotoxicology test guidelines and risk assessment approaches for crop protection products including endangered species risk assessment
• Prior experience leading scientific initiatives across functional areas
• Prior experience working for a global company
Who is Monsanto?
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world's biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We're always looking for exceptional professionals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture. Sound like a job for you?
Why work with us?
• Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
• Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
• You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
• We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
• Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.