PBM is seeking an experienced PRINT ESTIMATOR for immediate hire. Estimators will prepare a cost estimate for printing jobs by determining the most economical method of manufacturing while considering the production capacity of the facility.
The estimator performs the following duties:
- Analyzes client specifications and estimates the cost of materials by determining the quantity of paper, ink and plates required and then adding in a suitable margin for spoilage
- Determines the production centers needed to produce the job as specified.
- Develops a plan to accommodate all facets of the job.
- Evaluates all methods available for producing the job and selects the most economical way while meeting the client’s delivery requirements.
- Works with vendors in obtaining best prices for supplies
- Uses a computer to prepare estimates.
- Works with cost accounting in determining production standards for various operations.
- Maintains vendor price lists and discount terms and allowances.
- Develops knowledge of materials used, the best suppliers and competitive prices.
- Provides alternative specifications to offer cost savings when customers are open to it. (Ex. page size, paper thickness, size of book, kind or binding, etc.).
- Must have an understanding of the different printing processes, paper, ink, computer operation, the competitive market, and purchasing.
- Must know all printing/finishing equipment available and equipment’s respective running speeds and most efficient methods for producing possible jobs.
- 2+ years of Estimating, Customer Service, Job Planning or Purchasing experience within a commercial print company.
- Strong math skills a MUST.
- Preferred: College degree in Printing or Business Administration and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Prepress, the Pressroom, Finishing is helpful.