This position will join a growing team of construction underwriters responsible for handling countrywide underwriting and marketing of specialty construction pollution and professional coverages, including Owner's Protective Professional Indemnity (OPPI), Contractor's Professional and Protective Indemnity (CPPI) and Contractor's Pollution Liability (CPL). Working in a team environment, this position will collaborate to service accounts within an assigned territory, identify key construction agents/brokers, implement sales and marketing activities and demonstrate a strong customer focus and understanding of construction's appetite and strategy.
• Maintains and develops a profitable book of business
• Underwrites business (new or renewal, as applicable), selects appropriate risks, rates and prices accounts and expertly applies line of business underwriting guidelines when making recommendations and decisions
• Analyzes agency book on quarter-to-quarter basis for potential action
• Facilitates cross-sell opportunities with Construction casualty underwriters.
• Coaches and mentors other team members on team as needed; supports and contributes to the development of more junior underwriters
• Capable of underwriting complex business; may act with high levels of underwriting authority
• Has thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance
Sales & Marketing :
• Establishes and maintains pipeline
• Works with other members of Construction underwriting team to create and implement cross-sell and up-sell opportunities
• Supports the sales process including planning, operating routines, and monitoring for Owner's Professional Protective Indemnity ("OPPI"), Contractor's Pollution Liability ("CPL") and Contractor's Professional Protective Indemnity ("CPPI")
• Sources opportunities for other team members
• Knows The Hartford's value proposition to best position us for success; is professionally demanding and understands accountability
• Creates, drives and executes on strategies for new and/or renewal accounts (prospective book management, executing on the territorial and agency sales plans, etc.)
• Effectively provides excellent account management service of assigned territory through strategic planning and operational excellence. Ensures the consistent delivery and execution of the Circle of Service process; tailoring a service plan for each client based on needs. Positively impacts and influences final account pricing and terms. Successfully sells the proposal.
• Responsible for underwriting profitable new and renewal accounts.
• Consults with the agents/brokers to answer questions regarding coverage, process, appropriate resources within The Hartford based on their unique needs
• Directs and coordinates identified service issues
• Is familiar with how service operates
• Assists the AVP Construction Underwriting in building book of business to include multiple new professional products within Construction's overall coverage portfolio, Owner's Professional Protective Indemnity ("OPPI"), Contractor's Pollution Liability ("CPL") and Contractor's Professional Protective Indemnity ("CPPI")
• Maintains industry expertise within highly specialized coverage areas: unique errors and omissions type coverages specifically built for contractors performing design services and/or subcontracting out design services, and coverage solutions developed for contractors to prevent gaps due to pollution-related exclusions on standard commercial general liability programs
• Serves as a subject matter expert and assists the AVP Construction in the education of the Construction team on OPPI, CPPI and CPL products
• Partners with internal marketing resources to execute on targeted growth strategies
• BA/BS required; advanced degree desirable
• CPCU, ARM, CRIS or other relevant professional designation preferred
• 7-10 years relevant professional lines experience
• Significant prior experience and expertise in one or more of the following insurance products: Owner's Protective Professional Indemnity (OPPI); Contractor's Professional and Protective Indemnity (CPPI); Contractor's Pollution Liability (CPL). Seeking heavy experience in OPPI.
• Knowledge of A&E and Contractor's Professional/Pollution liability rating and market
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate internally and externally
• Demonstrated ability to select ideal contractors/projects for underwriting consideration
• Ability to travel up to 25%
**Depending on experience we may hire at a different level"
**This position may be located in either Chicago, IL, San Francisco, CA, Houston or Dallas, TX**
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD