we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As Executive Director, Global Medical Affairs - Cardio-Renal
you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. GPPS
(Global Product and Portfolio Strategy) bridges science and commercial, integrating corporate, portfolio, therapy areas and product strategies, providing strategic direction from early-stage research through to commercialization.
AstraZeneca's strategy in CVMD
focuses on ways to reduce morbidity, mortality and organ damage by addressing multiple risk factors across cardiovascular (CV) disease, diabetes and chronic Kidney-disease indications. The patient-centric approach is reinforced by science-led life cycle management programs and technologies, including early research into regenerative methods.
The Global Medical Affairs (GMA) vision is to ensure the best patient outcomes, by:
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence they need on our therapies
- Empowering our internal stakeholders with medical insight and strategy.
As the Executive Director, Global Medical Affairs - Cardio-Renal you will report directly to the VP Global Medical Affairs CVMD and you will be responsible for all aspects of Medical Affairs of the chronic kidney disease franchise. The main challenge of the position will be the pre-launch and launch medical management of several new indications / products in the next years.
The Executive Director GMA - Cardio-Renal is a global role to be located in Gaithersburg, Maryland, and is a member of the Global Medical Affairs CVMD leadership team.
As the Executive Director GMA - Cardio-Renal you will directly lead a team of currently 3 - 4 that is charged with strategic input into product lifecycle plans, focused on knowledge generation through non-registration trials, knowledge sharing through publications and other media, and facilitating the input of therapeutic area opinion leaders into product planning. You will be responsible for the Leadership of Global Medical Affairs in the Cardio-Renal area with accountability for creating and developing the strategic direction, business/resource planning, and team leadership on a global level. In partnership with the relevant Disease Biology Leadership Team, Franchise Leaders and Life Cycle Team leaders, you will produce a medical strategy for the therapeutic area. Additionally you will be responsible for creating and ensuring execution of the long term medical affairs vision and strategy for the therapeutic area. Essential Requirements
- MD with sound clinical practice.
- Proven experience as a successful, decisive leader in an international strategic multifunctional environment, matrix-management in pharmaceutical business environment and ability to lead cross functional working groups and teams.
- Experience in successfully managing complex external partnering situations and projects.
- 7+ years professional experience within the pharmaceutical industry, preferably in development and/or medical affairs function at a global level in the area of Cardio-Renal, including a track record of building productive relationships with research, development, regulatory affairs, drug safety, commercial and affiliates.
- Experienced track record of making business decisions and aligning the organization behind them.
- Ensuring global strategy is effectively communicated at regional and country levels and that regional/country needs are appropriately accommodated in global deliverables.
- Has developed and implemented global/local Phase II, III or IV trials.
- An experienced leader with proven results in human resources management and financial management.
- Ability to influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive organizational relationships
- Has good judgment, is a strong decision-maker and knows how to prioritize.
- Has experience of challenging senior management in relation to science and data.
- Strong track record with Advisory Boards and in Key Opinion Leader relationship management is valued.
- Solid experience of writing clinical publications and making scientific presentations.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to main stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a matrix in cross-functional teams
- A high level of flexibility to work in a fluid environment and ability to handle high work pressure.
Next Steps - Apply today!
- Clinical practice in Cardio-Renal/cardiovascular
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
At AstraZeneca, we believe the best way we can help patients is to focus on breakthrough science in order to uncover disease mechanisms and develop novel, targeted therapies that interact with them. This is at the heart of our purpose as a company: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines.