Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Leads Merck's efforts in searching, evaluation, due diligence and execution of clinical POC stage to regulatory approval business development opportunities in oncology in areas complementing and/or expanding current core footprint on a worldwide base for all modalities.
- Formulates licensing strategy with clinical development leadership and line functions and ensures robust strategies are communicated and implemented to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Working closely with clinical and commercial team, as well as commercial BD colleagues to ensure alignment between activities and needs relating to the late stage pipeline.
- Working closely with search and evaluation staffs in External Innovation Hubs and early stage assessment leads to ensure comprehensive coverage of relevant clinical space.
- Manages a portfolio of complex projects as the primary scientific contact and spokesperson for potential licensing, acquisition, collaborations, co-development agreements, and strategic alliances in relevant clinical space.
- Responsible for the quality of the formal due diligence output, integrating internal and external subject matter expert input and for senior management review and approval.
- Working closely with transaction leads, legal, commercial and financial analysis team to ensure relevant clinical deals of highest priority are being advanced and executed.
- Participates as a fully functional member and leader of the Late Assessment Team - an entrepreneurial unit contributing to the overall success of the pipeline.
- Provides thorough and timely assessments and updates to Senior Management to ensure efficient communication and seamless cross functional collaboration
- Serves as a spokesperson for Merck and makes presentations on behalf of Merck at industry networking events, scientific conferences and other venues.
- Proactively identifies and solves complex problems that impact the direction of the business
- Analyzes the full range of data and leads the cross-functional due diligence on inbound and outbound licensing and business development opportunities (from proof of concept through filing).
- Leads and mentors more junior search and evaluation professionals to ensure quality and consistency in the search and evaluation process.
- Assists in the coordination and prioritization of the portfolio of search & evaluation projects and coordination activities between the Hub and others in BD&L. Helps to ensure the success of the overall portfolio of opportunities across the post-POC space.
- Degree qualified - Bachelor's required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 plus years relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with good understanding of drug discovery and development process and broad knowledge of the biotech and healthcare sector.
- 5 plus years relevant experience in business development and established BD network in biopharmaceutical industry are required.
- Good understanding of industry trends and competitive landscape.
- Strong business acumen and ability to translate scientific and technical information to frame attractive business opportunity.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, critical-thinking, verbal and written communication skills.
- Impeccable organizational skills, operational skills, and ability to understand the content of and memorialize interactions potential partners. Ability to communicate and understand key mechanism of action of all relevant compounds.
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to influence others to reach common goals as well as act independently.
- Must possess the executive presence to facilitate the decision making process among Merck Senior Executives.
- Demonstrated success in identifying, evaluating and execution of significant clinical stage partnerships and alliances resulting in substantial impact to the company.
- Travel: 25 - 35%
- Clinical development experience is desirable
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement