Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career; a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to Firmwide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Tax Department reports to the Deputy Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 180 employees worldwide. The Tax Department is responsible for global tax compliance, tax accounting, business unit tax advice and tax planning for the Firm.
Morgan Stanley's Tax Advisory Group (MSTAG) is a division within the Morgan Stanley Tax Department that is responsible for providing coverage of tax issues relating to Morgan Stanley-sponsored products.
The MSTAG team dedicated to Morgan Stanley's Investment Management Private Funds business (BU) is seeking a tax accountant or lawyer with 8 or more years of global tax consulting experience with real estate funds, private equity funds, or real estate companies to provide tax oversight of for Morgan Stanley-sponsored real estate, private equity and other investment funds.
Specific responsibilities would include:
- Taking a lead role in coordinating tax advice with consultants, external advisors, Morgan Stanley's global tax team, and Morgan Stanley deal teams on the tax structuring of funds and investments to ensure tax-efficiency and alignment with the Morgan Stanley funds? risk profile
- Assisting with the development of tax-efficient structures for real estate, private equity and other funds with U.S. and non-U.S. investments
- Regularly advising the BU in connection with, monitoring and managing tax risks and reviewing the structuring of existing products and investments
- Monitoring and coordinating tax sign-off, documentation of tax positions and relevant tax reporting of investment structures and fund vehicles
- Advising the business units on guidelines for the tax structuring of investment acquisitions and dispositions
- Working closely with senior members of the BU in raising investor capital
- As part of a global team, candidate may be required to travel.
- Strong project management and people management skills
- Experience in international cross border transactions including liaising with international network of advisers
- Thorough knowledge of taxation of private equity and real estate investments and funds
- Familiarity with U.S. tax as well as various European and Asian tax systems and treaty networks.
- Significant client responsibility within either big four accounting firm or law firm or experience overseeing internal tax group
- Ability and desire to improve and create processes to increase efficiencies and completeness in the structuring process.
This candidate must have strong technical and analytical abilities, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently. The position requires skill in communicating with a global, diverse group of colleagues. The candidate must have a high level of personal commitment and be self-motivated, innovative and flexible, a team player, and be able to work under pressure to tight deadlines. This position will require limited travel within and outside the United States.
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.