Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Executive Director- US OGMA Field Teams has primary responsibility for the direct leadership and management of the US region Field Organization including: scientific engagement tactics which support US OGMA strategic initiatives; building strategic priorities and tactics around Oncology Scientific Symposia; field execution of the US MAP and launch plans; and development and implementation of field tactical plans.. The candidate will lead, develop and motivate a group of Field Team Leaders and their teams of Scientific professionals to support the Oncology brand portfolio whilst fostering alignment, integration, innovation, and driving performance. The candidate will collaborate across the matrix to formulate and execute plans that integrate with and support a cross-portfolio strategy.
- Defines strategic direction for Field Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) and Health Science Oncology Medical Affairs Directors (HSO MADs) and ensures alignment with strategy team initiatives including support of Merck Oncology through ongoing interaction with SLs and KDMs.
- Oversight of all operational activity for the field teams within the region including hiring, field training, evaluation, motivation and disciplinary activities in alignment with the company's corporate strategies and objectives. Provide strong leadership to motivate field team to align to a results oriented culture.
- Responsible for initiating, building and fostering internal/external relationships with recognized SLs and KDMs in Oncology and Hematology. Represents US OGMA leadership while attending external conferences or engaging in scientific exchange, stays abreast of current scientific trends, opinions of company data, and that of competitors while engaging in scientific exchange either personally or at conferences and meetings.
- Supervise Regional Team Leads and/or field teams to:
- Ensure the execution of the field section of the MAP, launch plans, support of US OGMA strategic initiatives.
- Monitor the needs of Merck and effectively structure the work plan of the field teams to meet these objectives.
- Identify potential study sites and increases participation in studies of Merck compounds by increasing investigator
awareness of the variety of research opportunities supported directly or indirectly by Merck at the request of MRL.
- Maintain relationships with key SLs and KDMs essential to the oncology program.
- Identify new and emerging science in areas of importance to Merck.
- Facilitate meeting the needs of SLs and KDMs to ensure the safe and appropriate use of our oncology products.
- Provide scientific consultation to the Franchise to support scientifically informed and clinically educated decision making. Assure cooperation and alignment with Global initiatives.
- Work closely with MRL, Franchise, OGMA, APA, and Global Directors of Scientific Affairs to ensure successful Merck presence and participation in Professional Society meetings.
- Maintain high level of scientific knowledge within oncology.
- Doctoral degree (PhD, PharmD, or MD) is required.
- Minimum of 5 years as a Medical Science Liaison (10 years preferred) and 5 years of management experience including 2 years in HQ based leadership in Medical Affairs (including Medical Information) or Research and Development
- Proven track record of success, especially in the areas of strategic thinking, scientific leader engagement, leading large teams, territory planning, and integration with HQ roles.
- Successful record of managing large and complex projects with minimal oversight.
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend complex scientific, research, and medical issues.
- Experience in hematology, oncology and a well-established understanding of NCCN guidelines is strongly preferred
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement