Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Executive Director- US OGMA Medical Strategy has primary responsibility for the direct leadership and management of the US OGMA MASLs including: development of the US OGMA MAP, US OGMA launch plans, US OGMA strategic initiatives, and development and management of budget associated with the US OGMA MAP. The candidate will lead, develop and motivate a group of MASLs and their teams of Scientific professionals to support the Oncology brand portfolio whilst fostering alignment, integration, innovation, and driving performance. The candidate will collaborate across the matrix to formulate plans that integrate with and support a cross-portfolio strategy. The candidate will collaborate closely with the ED, US OGMA Field Teams to ensure alignment and executional excellence of the HQ-led strategic initiatives.
- Defines strategic direction for the MASLs and ensures alignment with field team on strategic imperatives to foster executional excellence.
- Oversight of all operational activity for the MASLs including hiring, training, evaluation, motivation and disciplinary activities in alignment with the company's corporate strategies and objectives. Provide strong leadership to motivate MASLs to align to a results oriented culture.
- Responsible for initiating, building and fostering internal/external relationships with recognized SLs and KDMs in Oncology and Hematology. Represents US OGMA leadership while attending external conferences or engaging in scientific exchange, stays abreast of current scientific trends, opinions of company data, and that of competitors while engaging in scientific exchange either personally or at conferences and meetings.
- Supervise MASLs and strategy teams to:
- Ensure the development of the US MAP, launch plans, US OGMA strategic initiatives, and associated budget.
- Monitor the needs of Merck and effectively structure the work plan of the strategy teams to meet these objectives.
- Collaborate and align effectively with internal stakeholders including: MRL, IMLs, GMI, CORE, GEMS, USMA, APA
- Maintain relationships with key SLs and KDMs essential to the oncology program.
- Identify new and emerging science in areas of importance to Merck.
- Provide scientific consultation to the Franchise to support scientifically informed and clinically educated decision making. Assure cooperation and alignment with Global initiatives.
- Work closely with MRL, Franchise, OGMA, APA, and Global Directors of Scientific Affairs to ensure successful Merck presence and participation in Professional Society meetings.
- Maintain high level of scientific knowledge within oncology.
- Doctoral degree (PhD, PharmD, or MD) is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience (10 years preferred) and 5 years of management experience including 2 years in HQ based leadership in Medical Affairs (including Medical Information) or Research and Development
- Minimum of 2 years of clinical experience within oncology specialty including managed care, preferred
- Proven track record of success, especially in the areas of strategic thinking, medical planning, successful launch planning and execution in the US market, scientific leader engagement, and integration with field teams.
- Successful record of managing large and complex projects with minimal oversight.
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend complex scientific, research, and medical issues.
- Ability to travel across assigned area. Estimated travel 20-40%.
- Experience in hematology, oncology and a well-established understanding of NCCN guidelines is strongly preferred
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement