The Hartford is building a dedicated energy practice and industry vertical, leveraging our strengths within specialty construction, marine, property and specialty general liability. This position will work as part of a growing team of energy underwriters to provide specialized underwriting, insurance coverage and risk management services supporting the launch and profitable growth of the dedicated practice. Working in a team environment and under the supervision of energy leadership, this position will collaborate to complete new and renewal business production underwriting, service accounts, identify key energy agents/brokers, implement sales and marketing activities and demonstrate a strong customer focus and thorough understanding of The Hartford energy practice's appetite and strategy. RESPONSIBILITIES:Sales & Underwriting
- Underwrites and produces profitable new and renewal energy and energy related business
- Adheres to underwriting procedures and guidelines, while developing strong producer relationships
- Develops client tailored casualty insurance programs consisting of guaranteed cost, large deductible, SIRs and excess casualty
- Establishes and maintains account pipeline, and supports the sales process, including planning, operating routines and monitoring for energy business lines, including GL, excess casualty, auto and workers' compensation
- Manages cross-sell and up-sell opportunities across team and with other business units; generates cross-sell opportunities and actively sources opportunities for other team members
- Knows The Hartford's value proposition to best position the team for success; is professionally demanding and understands accountability for results
- Analyzes individual book on quarter-to-quarter basis and recommends potential actions
- Applies all applicable line of business underwriting guidelines when making decisions and adheres to high standards of quality
- Typically manages high volume of total written premium and adheres to territorial production goals
- Capable of underwriting complex business and will require limited support from energy leadership or more senior underwriters based on authority level
- May or may not act with high levels of underwriting authority, based upon experience and qualifications
- Has thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance
- Creates, drives and executes on strategies for new and/or renewal accounts (prospective book management, executing on territorial and agency sales plans, etc.)
- Effectively provides excellent account management service of assigned territory through strategic planning and operational excellence
- Ensures the consistent delivery and execution of service process; tailoring a service plan for each client based on needs
- Positively impacts and influences final account pricing and terms, successfully selling the proposal
- Consults and provides solutions
- Responsible for, or influences retention
- Serves as a trusted advisor to agency, managing the book of business and taking the lead in communicating strategy and decisions
- Consults with agents/brokers to answer questions regarding coverage, explain processes and directs agents to appropriate resources within The Hartford based on their unique needs
- Directs and coordinates identified service issues
- Is highly familiar with how service operates; makes recommendations and provides feedback to service partners to improve overall customer experience
Behaviors at The Hartford:
- BA/BS required
- CPCU, ARM or other relevant professional insurance designations/certifications preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years' casualty underwriting experience; energy sector experience strongly preferred
- Current relationships with key energy producers and strong market knowledge
- Strong analytical and financial analysis skills, including knowledge of collateral requirements
- Knowledge of rating plans, including experience rating, composite rating, large risk and loss rating
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders while demonstrating a positive, service-oriented approach
- Superior technical knowledge, proven presentation and decision making abilities
- Position level will be that of a Senior Underwriter or Executive Underwriter; commensurate with experience.
WHY JOIN THE HARTFORD?
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Visit our website to learn more about The Hartford's recognition. More information about the company and its product offerings is available at www.thehartford.com .
Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheHartford .
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheHartford . WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION OPPORTUNITY?
At The Hartford, our compensation philosophy is simple: we pay competitive base salaries and reward performance. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, a 401K Plan, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan and more.
The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression