Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) is in the customer service business across food, facilities and uniforms, wherever people work, learn, recover, and play. United by a passion to serve, our more than 270,000 employees deliver experiences that enrich and nourish the lives of millions of people in 22 countries around the world every day. Aramark is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and the World's Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter .
About Higher Education
When it comes to on-campus dining, facilities services, sport arenas and conference center services, Aramark is the real head of the class. Partnering with close to 600 colleges and universities throughout the United States, we strive to provide the best residential, retail, and catering options, service and facilities for students, faculty and administrator. Our programs are second to none in their innovation, excellence and results. As part of our commitment, we are determined to build and develop the best team of professionals in the industry - people who aren't afraid of spearheading change, who know how to lead and who appreciate endless opportunity.
The University of Pennsylvania is a top tier Ivy League institution with over 270 years of history. In addition to U Penn's undergraduate curriculum, U Penn is home to the Wharton Business School, a leading Medical Research facility, patient active dental and veterinary school, and a prestigious law school. The expectations of performance and standards of quality reflect that history and ambitious scope of services. The Housekeeping team at U Penn is dedicated to supporting the mission of the university, to providing the highest level of service, and to adhering to the most rigorous standards of professional excellence.
Members of the Housekeeping team should be prepared for standards of performance that exceed most housekeeping programs including: communications and reporting requirements, process based execution, use of metrics, standards of equipment, closet, and uniform upkeep, and continuous safety and performance training. U Penn is a very large, decentralized operation with many stakeholders and requires successful managers to lead, build consensus, and be responsive to many, frequently conflicting needs. Adaptability and the capacity to embrace and lead change are critical as the Housekeeping department follows a continuous improvement model of refining services as processes are mastered and adopting new technology and methods as they become available.
Director of Operations - Directs 5-10 junior custodial managers and oversees 50-100 unionized University of Pennsylvania housekeepers in the performance of daily cleaning activities, periodic floor care project and restoration work, housekeeping related policing and emergency response, and event support. Senior P&L responsible manager for one of six campus zones. Operates within the scope of both Aramark and the University of Pennsylvania regulations and policies, and in accordance with the union Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Scope of Role
Works within a Housekeeping Services team covering a major segment of campus consisting of 2M to 5M GSF. Total Managed Volume in the range of $3M to $7M. Generally manages 5-10 managers, and up to 100 employees covering multiple buildings, multiple colleges, and several customer representatives. Generally works a consistent schedule of approximately 50 hrs per week but may require occasional flextime to additional days or hours based on needs of the customer. Partners with and oversees an Area Custodial Director to fulfill both customer needs and client/Aramark objectives. Has daily contact with client representatives within the assigned area..
• Develops and is accountable for a safety culture that creates a work environment where no one gets hurt.
• Creates and develops relationships with client and campus community - meets routinely with customers.
• Leads custodial cleaning activities and provides overall leadership and direction for Custodial Directors, Custodial Managers and Front Line Employees.
• Leads meetings with customers, creates relevant agendas and meeting minutes
• Monitors performance objectives and standards in accordance with CBA.
• Holds employees accountable to standards of work and behavior through training, coaching, and discipline in accordance with the CBA.
• Leads the development of service plans for a designated area that outline the tasks of and expectations for housekeepers and managers.
• Maintains inventories of supplies and equipment and records of work with client and client vendors.
• Monitors and recommends supply needs that address service requirements.
• Constantly seeks ways to improve efficiency, service quality, and to reduce environmental impact of cleaning services.
• Conducts quality control assessments to ensure quality of work and compliance with operational procedures and assists Director of Operations in reviewing and analyzing team iQC data.
• Maintain department budget by planning and reporting of financial information.
• Utilizes University payroll, overtime, and discipline systems according to expectation. Ensures compliance by assigned junior managers
• Coordinates the activities of employees in custodial operations to utilize staff, materials, and equipment in an effective and efficient manner.
• Responsible for custodial work schedules and the accuracy of the space information in the computerized management systems.
• Hire, guide, train, and give technical assistance to directors, managers, and employees in custodial projects.
• Understands, enforces, and complies with University policies and procedures
• Ensures proper maintenance of equipment, accuracy of inventories, and organization of carts and closets with area of responsibility.
• Responsible for documentation of efforts and contributes to the writing of client Monthly Joint Reviews and manager Annual Performance Reviews.
• Communicates with all levels in the organization and with external vendors
• Implements human resources policies and procedures in conjunction with the leadership team.
• Ensures compliance with all OSHA regulations and other local, state, and federal government regulations.
• Responds to the requests of the customer, client, and Aramark leadership.
• Stays current with cleaning technology and Aramark cleaning program
• Conducts regular one-on-one development meetings with assigned managers
• Knowledge of client contract Union Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor's Degree in the appropriate field with 5+ years' experience housekeeping operations environment required.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are critical for regular daily correspondence, report generating, customer relations interactions, and training.
• Strong leadership and coaching skills required. Ability and willingness to 'have the tough conversations' where necessary and hold to others accountable.
• Technical knowledge of custodial equipment, cleaning procedures, and project activities also required.
• Experience overseeing skilled, semi-skilled and non-skilled staff is required. Experience in a union environment strongly preferred.
• Strong financial analysis are necessary. P&L accountability and/or contract-managed service experience is highly desirable.
• Computer proficiency and familiarity with common IT packages including - Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel, computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) - as well as capacity to learn and fully utilize the departmental time and attendance keeping system.
• Willing and able to spend a significant portion of the day walking large areas of responsibility to actively monitor work in progress.
A little about us:
At Aramark, we believe that each of our employees can play an important role in creating the great experiences that become lasting memories.