What you will do
Under minimal direction, leads design development, scope definition and cost development for large facility sustainment and modernization projects for Federal government installations around the world. Works closely with Account Executives to understand customer's goals and challenges. Identifies technical opportunities to support established goals through maintenance, upgrades, and/or construction projects. Ensures project scope of work is well-defined to verify feasibility of implementation, to ensure adherence to codes, standards, and agency requirements, and to mitigate cost and schedule risks. Responsible to establish ongoing relationships with the technical personnel within the customer's organization. Leads multi-disciplinary teams to develop cost estimates, scopes, project requirements and schedules. Responsible to manage and track multiple concurrent projects.
Location: Remote/Virtual (work from home). Must be able to travel up to 25%. Travel will primarily be international. Will not be sent to any designated war zone countries.
Benefits: Eligible for health and retirement benefits on first day of employment.
Vacation: Eligible for 3 weeks of paid vacation per calendar year.
How you will do it
1. Participates in customer interviews to understand their goals, challenges, and work plan priorities.
2. Conducts site surveys, system assessments, and initial data collection to develop preliminary concepts for large facility modernization and improvement projects (>$2M).
3. Develops and maintains relationships with engineering and facility operations stakeholders within the customer's organization and MEP consultants.
4. Understands the full range of JCI product and service offerings and their applications to meet specific customer goals.
5. Supports the sales team in preparing concept presentations, sample Performance Work Statements, and preliminary equipment selections.
6. Assists with rough order of magnitude estimates to support customer's budgeting processes.
7. Applies appropriate methods to estimate baselines and potential savings in energy use, peak demand, water use, and/or operating costs and proposes appropriate M&V plans, based on the project scale and complexity.
8. Reviews customer RFPs, Performance Work Statements (PWS), and design documents for proper information to receive accurate pricing from subcontractors and suppliers. Prepares requests for information (RFIs) to clarify customer requirements. Generates value engineering concepts.
9. Leads cross-functional teams in the development of multiple facility improvement measure projects, and clearly defines division of scope responsibilities among Johnson Controls and external subcontractors
10. Prepares quantity take-offs and estimates costs of materials, labor, and use of equipment required to fulfill all provisions of the contract.
11. Develops and maintains relationships with engineering consultants and subcontractors.
12. Develops detailed subcontractor RFP packages including Scope of Work narratives to solicit complete subcontractor bids. Manages the subcontractor solicitation process and reviews subcontractor bids for exclusions, cost-competitiveness and to ensure estimate covers all PWS requirements, Agency standards, and local codes.
13. Writes and edits technical proposal narratives describing design-build concept in response to an RFP. The technical proposal includes a project schedule to support the written narrative.
14. Supports the Project Manager in planning staffing and schedules project delivery.
15. Support the Operations team in identifying risks and quantifying impact and probability. Engages internal experts to develop risk mitigation strategies.
16. Supports Operations team in "Post Award" technical activities, including site surveys, design reviews, and submittal preparation.
17. Responsible for remaining current with relevant engineering or design standards and practices and participating in industry associations (SAME, AEE, ASHRAE).
18. Responsibility for the promotion and adherence of JCI safety policies and culture.
19. Performs other related duties as assigned.
What we look for
1. Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering, or related field.
2. Ten years or more experience in the design, cost estimating, and/or construction management of building improvement projects, preferably with an MEP engineering firm or design build contractor.
3. Demonstrated subject matter expertise in Energy Management, HVAC systems, building automation, lighting, utility metering, Electronic Security Alarm Systems, Fire Alarm Systems, and/or renewable energy systems.
4. Experience independently leading site surveys to assess facility systems for facility condition and energy savings opportunities.
5. Has a high degree of technical competence in multiple functional areas, capable of assessing design risk and being accountable for all elements of large projects.
6. Demonstrated ability to lead teams, work effectively with others, drive for results, focus on the customer, & act ethically.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and is comfortable presenting in customer-facing situations.
8. U.S. Citizen with ability to acquire Department of Defense Security Clearances
9. Ability to travel within the region approximately 25%. May be gone up to 2 weeks at a time.
1. Experience working on U.S. Military installations
2. Professional Engineering license, CEM Certification & LEED AP accreditations
3. Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project
4. Experience with Autocad/Microstation, and cost estimating tools such as RS Means CostWorks
5. Experience performing building energy simulation modeling (eQuest or EnergyPlus)
Who we are
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process please email SpecialAccommodations@Tyco.com
Division: JCFS (Johnson Controls Federal Systems)
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.