Under minimal supervision, leads and designs technical solutions for Federal Government customers based on agency and site needs, as well as, Johnson Controls Federal team (JCFS) direction and strategies. Aligns the broad set of Johnson Controls capabilities, products, and offerings to meet customer-specific project goals and needs. Develops a compelling business case for the proposed scope of work. Leads and manages the engineering and financial development of large, complex, and/or strategic projects from inception through Contract Award and Performance Period services. Responsible for creating and managing the project development plan.
Has Federal Government market specialization with significant experience in developing ESPC and/or UESC projects. Maintains a networking relationship with the specific Federal management team to actively engage in planning, new solution development, and Best Practice sharing across the team. Occasionally supports other Federal Government project and contracting opportunities, but the primary focus is in ESPC and UESC.
Has an advanced understanding of the full range of Johnson Controls products, offerings, and capabilities (e.g., energy management, renewable energy technologies, security and fire systems, building automation systems, services, operations and maintenance, finance, facilities management, etc.) and is able to combine these capabilities to solve critical customer needs. Must also have demonstrated ability to lead the engineering development process and review the detailed work. Possesses a strong understanding of the regulatory, legislative and business environment, as well as procurement requirements unique to the Federal Government. Active participant of the Sales Account Team, and jointly accountable for increasing secured sales and margin metrics, accountable for incorporating more Johnson Controls capabilities into customer solutions, shortening the solution design cycle, increasing win rates, applying appropriate solution "best practices" and minimizing development costs.
Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships up to and including the 'C' level of customer base. Supports Sales team in presenting the business impact (in the client's terms) for each offering within the bundle. Has demonstrated advanced presentation skills as well as demonstrated poise and polish in front of clients.
Location: Remote/Virtual (work from home). Must be able to travel up to 60%. Travel could be anywhere domestically or internationally (will not be sent to any designated war zone countries). No long term travel assignments; will typically be home for the weekends.
Benefits: Eligible for health and retirement benefits on first day of employment.
1. Provide engineering leadership and technical support for all phases of the Federal Government market ESPC / UESC process beginning with the preparation of competitive RFP responses through Contract Award and Performance Period support.
2. Participate in the Target Account Selling (TAS) review process and assist in qualifying and quantifying the potential opportunities.
3. Prepare and manage the project development plan to include scope, budget, schedule, and staffing for each phase of the development and contracting process.
4. Lead teams of subject matter experts, development engineers, and strategic partners to establish the technical solution, accurately develop it within projected costs and schedule, and provide a final solution consistent with customer's procurement process.
5. Provide oversight and quality control and assurance of engineering development efforts. Manage, and in some cases, mentor team members in the development of large, complex technical solutions. Provide engineering and financial modeling expertise to the team throughout the development process.
6. Validate technical and financial feasibility of the technical solution throughout the development process. Align the solution with the Federal Government buyer to ensure site goals, technical guidelines, and contractual requirements are met. Monitor and mitigate project technical and financial risk in accordance with customer and Johnson Controls guidance.
7. Work with the sales team by positioning yourself as a trusted technical advisor to the Federal Government customer throughout the selection and project development process.
8. Facilitate customer meetings and workshops throughout the project development process to gain incremental buy-in of the project building blocks and technical details vital to project success.
9. Coordinate active involvement of Federal and Regional engineering, project management, performance assurance, and service teams to provide smooth transition of projects between phases of the ESPC / UESC process.
10. Engage the Johnson Controls Advanced Solutions engineering team and other internal and external SMEs (national renewables team, lighting services, national operations, legal, contracting, etc.) as needed to validate the technical solution and risk profile throughout the project development process.
11. Network with the Director of Engineering, Director of Sales, and other SDLs to leverage lessons learned and best practices across the organization to improve team performance - increasing bundle size, growing renewable energy projects, accelerating sales cycle, reducing development costs, and improvement in secured margins.
12. Coordinate the production of deliverables with the sales and Johnson Controls proposal teams. Lead the preparation and/or compilation of proposals and reports. Ensure the technical descriptions, support documents, and financial models meet contractual requirements, customer expectations, and Johnson Controls quality standards.
13. Understand the competitive landscape including competitor's specific business strategies, products and services. Utilize this data to differentiate Johnson Controls to the Federal Government customer.
14. Coordinate with liaisons identified within the other Johnson Controls business units to drive pull-through sales of products and services. This may interface with internal leadership and external customers.
15. Actively identify and document new solution approaches and support other members of the team in exchanging knowledge and applying best practices.
16. Participate in appropriate professional organizations and build relationships within Federal Government customer organizations.
17. Manage multiple projects and/or opportunities at various stages of development concurrently.
18. Leads or participates in other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, business or a related field.
2. CEM certification and/or PE license preferred.
3. Requires ten or more years of large project development engineering, and support of high value, complex technical solution sales.
4. Thorough understanding of design, pricing, construction processes and facility operations, with excellent knowledge of building-related systems, utility plants and renewable energy technologies.
5. Possesses an advanced understanding of Johnson Controls capabilities and the conceptual skills to identify and meet customer needs through a combination of Johnson Controls and strategic partner capabilities preferred.
6. Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the regulatory, legislative and business environment in the Federal Government vertical market.
7. Knowledge of the Federal Government ESPC and/or UESC engineering and contracting process strongly preferred.
8. Understanding of the submittals and level or rigor required throughout the selection and development engineering process for project success.
9. Strong conceptual skills required for developing innovative technical solutions.
10. Possesses strong people and project management skills for managing large, complex and innovative development projects with internal and external resources.
11. Maintains the flexibility to manage high-performance development engineers, guide and mentor team members, lead by example, and monitor and coach subcontracted technical resources, as dictated by the project scope, location, and team composition.
12. Excellent customer relationship, presentation and communication skills required.
13. Proficiency in speaking to large audiences, as well as, comfort in communicating with C-level customers.
14. Utilizes technical, financial, business analysis, and Federal market knowledge to create compelling business cases.
15. Possesses solid working knowledge of common computer applications (e.g., MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, eQUEST, SharePoint, etc.)
16. Ability to travel up to 60%.
17. Must be a US Citizen.
18. The ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance required. (This involves a background/character, criminal history, employment, and credit check.)
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.