What you’ll be doing...
We’re investing in our network to improve the way we live, work, and communicate. Our network transformation will be critical for all our future connectivity businesses including new products such as IoT, 5G, and future smart cities. As part of this network transformation, you will help build one network engineered for growth for all lines of business.
This is a unique opportunity to join the Wireline Network Global Operations team as we gear up to support the build plan for our OneFiber program. Our team is responsible for installing, testing, repairing and maintaining the technology that keeps millions of our customers connected.
Specific Responsibilities of Position:
You’ll be responsible for the installation, monitoring, testing and maintenance of telecommunications and associated electronic equipment and wiring per specifications and operational procedures, both in technical facilities as well as on customer property. Performs complex technical duties and escalate issues as needed. Follows standard procedures and guidelines. Uses individual expertise to solve difficult technical and system problems.
This job requires working weekends and various shift work to include holidays.
You may be performing any of the following based on customer needs:
- testing and diagnostic procedures on equipment according to published equipment standards
- fiber locates, monitoring of construction activity, fiber splicing and termination; Assembly of, installs, and/or tests transmission equipment channel banks, channel service units (CSU), digital service units (DSU), modems, routers, etc.
- Installation of routers, bridges, multiplexers, concentrators, etc.
- Periodic maintenance on company transmissions support equipment.
- Maintenance of new and existing circuits through troubleshooting and fault isolation techniques
- Utilization of local and remote test systems to isolate and resolve customer circuit outages.
- Coordination of testing and turn up of service with all involved providers until the customer’s service is up and working.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or 1 or more years relevant work experience.
- Experience with PC word processing and communications software.
- A valid state driver's license; may be required to drive vehicle with a manual gearshift.
- Security background investigation for customer site access may be required.
- Must be able to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including, but not limited to, perceiving differences in wire cable colors, moving and/or lifting items such as ladders, tools, air tanks, cable reels, test equipment and other objects weighing up to 100 pounds, working aloft; climbing ladders and poles, and entering tunnels, buildings, trenches, crawl spaces, manholes, and other confined spaces to accomplish job tasks.
Even better if you have experience with the following:
- A competent level of (site specific) equipment knowledge including, but not limited to, transmission equipment manufactured by Nortel, Siemens, Fujitsu, Alcatel, and Ciena.
- Experience interpreting engineering drawings and providing as-built drawings to engineering.
- Working knowledge of SONET ring, DWDM and WDM fiber systems. Advanced troubleshooting skills to support all transmission levels, DS1 – OC192 including Ethernet.
- Working knowledge of Customer Premise Equipment installation and troubleshooting
- Fiber Splice and Cable Prep procedure
- Aerial cable placement
- Underground cable placement procedure.
- Fiber MPO/MTU installation and placement (Multi Point Optical Connector/Multi Terminal Unit)
- Fiber test procedures
- Power Loss
- Connector Inspection
- NGPON network principals
- Fiber Hub management (1x4 split/4x32 split) principals
- Ethernet test and turn up
- Fiber Inventory Management system (FIMs)
- Experience with reading Engineering Drawings
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Military experience is highly desirable
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon is one of the largest communication technology companies in the world.