Twenty years from now, the earth's population will need 55% more food than it can produce now. Today, Monsanto is working with farmers around the world to do something about it. In over 60 countries, Monsanto has established industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is an Employer Of Choice with an outstanding professional development program and a history of building careers. Make an impact by joining the team that is working to solve one of mankind's greatest challenges.
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated Field Research Associate
with the ability to work as part of a Field Testing Team in Thomasboro, IL. Incumbent will assist in overseeing daily operations associated with a comprehensive corn breeding and testing program aimed at developing and identifying high yielding hybrids. The individual will have the opportunity to assist in all phases of a breeding program including seed packaging, planting, pollination, plot maintenance, volunteer monitoring, data collection, and harvest of breeding nursery and yield trials. Additional responsibilities include supervision and training of temporary employees, active participation in site safety and QMS programs, and interacting on a professional level with personnel at other breeding stations, breeders and scientists. Responsibilities include:
Required Education and Skills/Experience:
- Assist in the coordination of day-to-day yield testing activities, including seed packaging, planting, note taking, plot maintenance, and harvesting
- Utilization of research equipment such as planters, combines and hand-held devices.
- Preparation for/and planting, field plot maintenance, data collection and harvesting
- Provide support for precision agronomic strategies including GPS, GIS, soil sampling, and new equipment technology and its application into a breeding/testing program
- Assist in computer-related activities tracking hybrids and inbreds
- Provide support for day-to-day nursery activities such as pollinating, harvesting and packaging
- Ship nursery and seed testing materials
- Interaction with scientists and breeders on and off site for project related needs.
- Perform safety inspections, and assist in providing safety training and guidance to field personnel.
- Supervise and train temporary employees
- Participate with the team to successfully maintain the Quality Management Standards
- Assist in other projects and perform other duties as and when required
- Overnight travel during planting and harvest season and occasional 2-3 day periods of travel for training and other meetings are likely during the year
Desired Education and Skills/Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Agronomy, Plant Breeding or a related field
- 2-3 years of relevant field research experience from industry or academia
- Ability to work extended hours during the peak planting, pollinating and harvest seasons
- Knowledge of farm equipment operation and maintenance
- Experience utilizing MS Office Suite
- Familiarity with mobile technology and applications used in agriculture
- Ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrated ability to balance and prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
Who is Monsanto?
- MS Degree in Plant Breeding, Agronomy, Agricultural Engineering or a related field
- Familiarity with breeding methodologies
- Broad knowledge of crop production and farming practices
- Class A CDL (or ability to obtain)
- Pesticide applicator license (or ability to obtain)
- Knowledge of precision agriculture
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world's biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We're always looking for exceptional professionals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture. Sound like a job for you? Why work with us?
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!
- Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
- Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
- You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
- We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
- Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.