Twenty years from now, the earth's population will need 55% more food than it can produce now. Today, Monsanto is working with farmers around the world to do something about it. In over 60 countries, Monsanto has established industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is an Employer Of Choice with an outstanding professional development program and a history of building careers. Make an impact by joining the team that is working to solve one of mankind's greatest challenges.
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated Field Research Associate
to work as part of a multidisciplinary Research Team in Evansville, IN. The Field Research Associate will assist in all phases of comprehensive breeding and testing programs, working with wheat, corn, soybeans, and developmental chemistries. The successful Field Research Associate has the opportunity to manage many operations related to field trials, seed preparation, planting, field plot management, data collection, harvesting nursery and test plots. This is a unique opportunity to work with leading edge technology and talented research scientists seeking to deliver the best in crop genetics.Responsibilities include:
Required Education & Skills/Experience:
- Utilization of research equipment such as planters, combines, GPS/GIS data and hand held computers for note taking
- Manage different field testing operations, seeding, management of plots, data collection, harvest, etc.
- Assist in computer related activities and provide support for day-to-day nursery and testing activities such as operation of seed counters, seed packaging, soil sampling, and field mapping.
- Shipping of nursery and testing materials
- Perform safety inspections, and assist in providing safety training and guidance to field personnel
- Supervision and training of temporary employees
- Work closely with other research sites to keep program operating efficiently
- Participate with team to successfully maintain the Quality Management Standards
- Assist in other projects and perform other duties as requested
- Overnight travel during the planting and harvest season is possible. Several 2-3 days of travel for training and other meetings (up to 10% annually).
Desired Education & Skills/Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Agronomy or a related field
- Ability to work extended hours during the peak planting, plot maintenance, note taking, and harvest seasons
- Ability to travel overnight for multiple days during peak seasons
- Experience utilizing MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work effectively with interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to balance and prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral
- Basic understanding of farm equipment operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Ability to lift 60lbs
Who is Monsanto?
- Broad knowledge of crop production and farming practices
- Broad knowledge of farm equipment operation and repair
- Broad knowledge of field plot research/management
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose specialized field equipment that utilizes electrical and pneumatic components
- Familiarity with emerging technology in the realm of agronomic systems and equipment technology
- Prior experience with Precision Planting
- Prior experience using mobile Information Technology (IT) in an agricultural environment
- Experience using GPS and GIS technology
- Current pesticide applicator license (or ability to obtain)
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world's biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We're always looking for exceptional professionals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture. Sound like a job for you? Why work with us?
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!
- Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
- Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
- You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
- We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
- Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.