Under limited supervision; are responsible for the installation, testing and repair of network hardware and solutions for Charter commercial fiber customers. Includes the need to install, configure, test, and troubleshoot Ethernet and TDM circuits. Circuits include the use of fiber and copper transport medium between switches and routers.Essential Functions of the positionActively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience Perform network installations and maintenance, trouble shoot, repair and modify data, voice and video network equipment Respond to equipment failures, trouble shoot and repair equipment while providing the customer with productive communications regarding the repair process
Work with technical support personnel to diagnose and correct service related issuesPerform other duties as requested by supervisor
Preferred QualificationsSkills/Abilities and Knowledge
EducationHigh School Diploma and applicable college or Technical school training, or equivalent work or military experienceAssociates or Bachelors in electronics or other related experience preferred
- Moderate to good understanding of IP networks.
- Knowledge of Ethernet, T1, DS3, OC3, OC48 circuits
- Knowledge of the difference between various types of WAN/LAN circuits.
- Knowledge of Layer 1, 2 and 3 networking
- Knowledge of standard Telco industry wire wrapping is a plus
- Knowledge of CWDM and DWDM (wave division multiplexing) is a plus
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to self-start and prioritize each days activities
- Ability to establish positive relationships with fellow employees and customers
- Ability to use the following hand tools: Wire wrap tools, wire stripers, Ethernet crimp tools, BNC crimp tools, wrenches, screwdrivers , etc.
- Ability to use Test equipment: DVM, T-Berd, light meter, Ethernet test sets (RFC2544), etc.
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Ability to run and organize wires and jumpers in Charter facilities and at the customer premise.
- Ability to fully utilize a Laptop (e.g. configure the Windows IP stack, use of Microsoft Office suite, use of Visio. Use of apps like Secure CRT, Putty, Hyper term, etc)
- Ability to work with small components and wires to make cabling connections
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Ability to understand and apply company safety policies
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
Related Work Experience
1-2 years experience, includingIP networking experienceInstallation and repair of WAN/LAN related equipment experienceCertifications and/or LicensesCCNA , ENA or JCNA desired Valid driver's license with satisfactory driving record within Company required standardsWorking ConditionsWork in Charter facilities and in commercial customer buildings Work a regular day time shiftParticipates in an On Call rotation which can include call outs day or night Work and travel in inclement weather Frequent day travel within 1 to 200 mile radius; occasional overnight travel
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.