At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Finance Business Partner- EMEA in Redwood City, CA you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. North American Commercial is the 'face' of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
The Finance Business Partner will be the lead Finance role for the site and partner with operations to achieve the strategic and operational goals of the business area. The Lead Finance Business Partner will be accountable for the site and proactively engage with senior business leaders; enabling and influencing decision making to achieve optimal performance. The role holder will provide insightful financial and manufacturing input to business initiatives, challenge key forecasting assumptions and deliver expert financial analysis of key risks and sensitivities.
* Business Strategy & Decision Support:
* working proactively with the business to understand future financial information needs and producing efficient solutions to meet these needs (Business Case Development, Capacity requirements, COGS models, Benefits tracking, KPIs etc)
* Negotiating and communicating effectively across teams and business units and with external parties to achieve a positive outcome
* Being actively involved in review and development of short & long-term strategy at the site; develop robust financial forecasts to support the strategies while balancing the needs and requirements of operations.
* Having joint accountability with the business for the accuracy of forecasts and, using a good understanding of the business model and financial drivers, to challenge and influence the key cost drivers
* Developing reliable operational and financial forecasts ensuring resources are allocated to maximise value creation for AZ
* Leading the financial planning cycle in area of accountability; setting stretching but attainable performance targets and incentives, aligned to strategy and operational plans
* Highlighting sensitivities & risks and delivering timely, accurate and granular reporting and commentary of site performance, linking business drivers to actual spend and forecast
* Proactively driving efficiencies including seeking cross functional process solutions
* Exploring needs with internal customers and suppliers and utilising this information to improve business results showing significant commercial and business acumen
* Direct preparation of all presentations for key business and finance review meetings.
* Working closely with Project / Capacity Managers to model and plan for volatile cost and resource demands
Continuous Improvement, Governance and Coaching
* Initiating changes to improve and/or simplify working practices and processes in finance
* Communicating governance and compliance standards and statutory regulations to non-specialists in a way that is understandable and relevant and relays the risk effectively
* Leading insightful and proactive risk management processes to ensure the organisation's regulations, rules and processes are adhered to, highlighting areas of concern and promoting continuous improvement in the robustness of the processes, sharing best practice across the business
* Developing the professional capability of the Finance team and the financial understanding of non-finance managers
* Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Business, Economics
* Minimum 3-5 +years of experience in management accounting.
* Minimum 3 years of experience within a manufacturing environment
* Expert understanding of SAP
* Successful business partnering experience
* Outstanding strategic and analytic thinking
* Exceptional communication and presentation skills, including oral & written.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational agility
* Ability to manage through change and uncertainty
* Ability to work in a matrixed organization and promote a collaborative environment
* Drives performance and is independent in thinking
* Experience of working in a global pharmaceutical organisation/deep understanding of the drug development life cycle and/or commercial aspects
* CPA preferred. MBA or MS preferred.
* Good understanding of Hyperion Planning preferred
This role is responsible for leading and managing strategic initiatives within the Market Access organization in support of delivering on the Market Access scorecard. This includes the development and implementation of business and customer strategies and requires working across business units, regions, functions and brands. Individuals in this role will allocate a percentage of their time to hands-on learning of account planning and management. The SAL role is designed for those employees with an interest in becoming a Market Access Account Director. In both of these areas of responsibility, the individual in this role will need to maintain an enterprise mindset, work collaboratively across multiple functions, and lead and influence teams without a direct reporting relationship. In addition, this role serves as a consultant to inform training and development strategies and inform on content specific to the needs of their assigned customer segment, to ensure the bench strength for the future Market Access organization while developing career pathways that potentially span the organization.
* Facilitate development of business and customer plan strategies across business units, regions and functions encompassing the portfolio of brands.
* Manage all aspects of major initiatives across the AZ portfolio (e.g., change management, training, communication, resource allocation, pull-through, insight, development and utilization)
* Maintain visibility into and understanding of strategic initiatives across Market Access and aligned partners to:
* Enable collaboration with Executive Business Directors across AZ (Market Access, Exec Sales, Sr/Brand Access Strategy leaders, Insight, Legal, \ Medical Affairs, Contracting, SGA and Corporate Affairs.
* Identify opportunities/gaps/conflicts/ redundancies and then recommend an action plan to leverage or address the situation
* Provide clear rationale to our EDs to help inform business decisions and communications to our aligned team.
* Represent the interest, position and viewpoint of the Executive Director/function at internal meetings in support of projects and key initiatives.
* Proactively assess gaps and propose solutions for long term change/success in operations/processes (launches, brand team & AS&P collaborations, contracting and training)
* Serve as main point of contact for major industry conventions and external customer meetings (i.e., AMCP, PCMA, ARMADA, NACDS, Regional Summits)
Team Development and Productivity
* Consult on segment-specific training and development strategy for the customer-facing team to which they are dedicated as well as across Market Access, with consideration of career paths spanning the larger organization.
* Manage the process and creation of Yearly Objectives/Scorecard for overall business and team commitments, ensuring consistent accountability and alignment with goals
* Lead the process and initiatives for AD account planning, on-boarding and development
* Lead or support the implementation of change management and/or training initiatives stemming from other parts of the organization (policy, technology, efficiency)
* Identify needs, research options and create opportunities to meet development needs of team (individually, w/ internal stakeholders, w/ vendors)
* Lead/Manage the development of content/sessions for National, Launch and Local Team Meetings
Skills and Competencies:
* Strategic and Analytical Thinking
* Building Strategic Working Relationships
* Ability to Manage Change & Influence Others
* Coaching & Developing Others
* Drive Performance
* Acts Decisively
* Strong Project Management skills
Internal and External Contacts/Customers
* Market Access LT
* Key customers in Market Access /Sales Leadership including EBDs, MGBDs, Senior Directors, Access Strategy and Programs/Brand Directors, Brand EDs, and Brand VPs as necessary
* Executive and team leaders across organizations strategically aligned with Market Access including Brands, Insight, Legal, Medical Affairs, SGA and Corporate Affairs
* Customer facing Teams/Account Directors
* Customer industry associations and organizations
* Bachelor's degree
* 10+ years in the pharmaceutical industry; preferably with diversified experience in Sales/Sales leadership, Marketing and Analytics, and/or Sales Training
* Experience and familiarity with Market Access and key account management
* Significant experience in leadership roles
* Proven success with strategic thinking and effective decision making
* Experience in developing peers and teams
* Experience in presenting to large teams with senior members
* Project/program management expertise.
* Excellent informal and formal communications skills, including presenting to groups of senior leaders.
* Ability to effectively manage multiple priority projects and initiatives
* Ability to lead without authority
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate across groups of diverse backgrounds and skills
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
A little about us:
MedImmune is the global biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca