Finance Development Program 2017 - (Accounting Focus) (Job Number: 023796)
Deerfield Corporate - 200 WILMOT RD
200 WILMOT RD
This is a very exciting time at Walgreens. We're taking our products and services to the four corners of the world as part of the Retail USA division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. Walgreens Boots Alliance was formed through the combination of Walgreens and Europe's Alliance Boots in December 2014, bringing together two leading companies with iconic brands, complementary geographic footprints, shared values and a heritage of trusted health care services dating back more than 100 years each.
Today, Walgreens is the neighborhood drugstore and retailer that makes health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And, we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Join us at Walgreens and find yourself at a place where innovation thrives and incredible career and growth opportunities await. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, employees, and the communities we all call home. Description
Walgreens is seeking highly talented and career-minded professionals who will begin employment at Walgreens Corporate Headquarters with the Accounting Development Program (ADP). ADP is a two year program in which the employee completes 4 rotations of 6 months each prior to graduating into a Senior Accountant role. Why Apply?
The Accounting Development program focuses on further developing and growing you into well-rounded business professionals gaining strong foundational education and training in Accounting and surrounding fields. The ADP is a highly visible program, supported by a Steering Committee of senior members of Management as well as Walgreens CFO. The program graduates are expected to take future leadership positions within the company.
During the 24 month program, the associates will rotate through categories of rotations including retail accounting departments, corporate accounting departments, advisory/tax services, and a business unit finance department. The associates will be assigned a senior executive mentor as well as an FDP mentor that counsel them throughout the program. The FDP/ADP program offers extensive training through each rotation that focuses on development of associates' core competencies such as leadership, communication, etc. and technical competencies in the context of Walgreens such as internal controls, accounting processes and reporting, technical accounting, SEC reporting, business operations, and more. The rotational program also has a robust performance management process focused on your development. Job Responsibilities
While meeting the program growth and development goals, assists business units and functions in achievement of Objectives, Strategies, Goals and Metrics, through the following tasks, where applicable:
- Maintains basic knowledge of the primary emerging issues facing the industry and company business specifics.
- Develops basic understanding of company, department policies and procedures, accounting practices, and federal and state regulations.
- Works with management to identify current financial and operational risks and potential audit concerns.
- Supports internal customers by researching questions and investigating variances on the financial statements.
- Applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports.
- Performs period-end financial close responsibilities.
- Performs balance sheet reconciliations for area supported and analyzes resulting variances. Proposes and prepares adjusting entries resulting from reconciliations.
- Researches questions and investigates variances on the financial statements. Communicates findings to management.
- Maintain general ledger accounts in area of responsibility.
- Document processes. Recommend and/or review proposed process improvements.
- Works with management on ad hoc analysis, generating and analyzing management reports and clearly communicating the outcomes.
Qualifications Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree with a major in Accounting, Finance or Economics earned prior to June 15th each calendar year.
- GPA of 3.2 or above on a 4.0 scale
- At least 3 months, but no more than 2 years of experience in Accounting, Finance and/or Economics
- Experience leading people and/or processes in school and/or work situations
- Experience analyzing situations and resolving problems in school and/or work situations
- Experience building and maintaining relationships within a team.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- Willing to travel up to 5% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Experience holding a leadership position, such as student organizations, residence halls, fraternity/sorority or similar.
- Recipient of achievement award or recognition - academics, sports, student organization contribution or similar.
- Experience with entrepreneurial achievements or activities.
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.