Are you interested in helping solve today's most critical housing challenges? In simplest terms, Fannie Mae serves the people who house America. We work at the heart of housing by providing reliable, affordable mortgage financing in all markets at all times, buying loans that banks and other lenders originate, so they can fund new loans. This gives more people the opportunity to buy, refinance, or rent homes and apartments. Creating these opportunities is what drives the people who work at Fannie Mae.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress JOB INFORMATION
Review and analyze complex financial information to record transactions, prepare financial reports, and review and verify accuracy. Serve as the initial reviewer for journal entries, workpapers, reports, schedules and materials. Operate in a lead role within the team. Train and provide leadership to staff. Assist the Accounting Manager/Director in team planning, assignments and other duties, as needed.KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Compile, review, analyze, and record financial information to the general ledger. Complete monthly closings and effectively explain results to management.
- Review balance sheet and profit and loss statements, consolidated financial statements, and other accounting schedules and reports including externally-required disclosures.
- Review daily, weekly, and monthly reconciliations to ensure general ledger account information is accurate, consistent, traceable, and auditable.
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external customers.
- Identify control weaknesses, communicate to management, and implement changes to tighten and enhance controls and mitigate risk.
- Assist with coordinating and administering assignments, monitoring accounting team progress and managing schedules.
- Review and finalize staff work papers and deliverables with General Accounting Manager/Director.
- Provide and effectively explain requested information to auditors, consultants, and others on highly significant matters requiring coordination.
- Design, modify, install, and/or maintain accounting systems to ensure adequate recognition of highly complex financial transactions.
- Provide feedback and input into staff performance reviews, as applicable, including specific performance feedback for calibrations and talent assessments.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- 8 years of related experience
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and implement advanced accounting concepts (e.g. asset impairment, amortization, consolidation accounting, sales and transfer accounting, derivative accounting, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and implement GAAP and SEC financial disclosure requirements.
- Public accounting and/or accounting operations experience required.
- Proficiency in Excel/Access required.
- CPA or CPA in progress strongly preferred.
- Secondary mortgage market experience is a plus.
- Process improvement/automation preferred.
- Comfortable working with large amounts of data.
- Good communication skills required.
- Previous experience working on an accounting system implementation or upgrade is a plus.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation, which may also include a credit check for positions in some areas of our business.
A little about us:
We’re leading the way to provide safe, affordable, and reliable credit, so people across the U.S. have opportunities to buy, reﬁnance, or rent homes.