At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Fire Protection Engineer for the Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division (IATD) Laboratory located in Maplewood, MN. Here, you go.Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Fire Protection Engineer
will develop product applications in the Fire Protection business unit of Adhesives and Sealants. This position will work with marketing to drive the passive fire protection business with an emphasis on fire-resistive construction joints. Work includes supporting the sales of existing products into the passive fire protection segment by working with our sales team on application understanding, engineering evaluations, and test planning and assembly. This position will have the responsibility for maintaining several product families sold within the Fire Protection business unit, as well as collaborating on cross functional new product introduction teams. IATD is an International Organization for Standardization (ISO)/Technical Specifications (TS) certified lab. For additional information, please visit:
include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide engineering evaluations for passive fire protection applications
- Support of cross functional teams on new product introduction and product maintenance
- Providing test configuration and set up in accordance with recognized standards
- Training customers, sales representatives, and international colleagues
- Interfacing with 3rd party testing agencies
- Collaborate with Research & Development and Marketing
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum of three (3) years of combined experience working within a construction industry, test laboratory and/or engineering environment
Location: Maplewood, MN Travel: May include up to 25% domestic/internationalRelocation: Is authorized
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Fire Protection Engineering, Fire Safety Engineering or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Commercial construction industry experience (including passive firestop trade)
- Test laboratory experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of Application Engineering/Technical Service experience
- Experience in the fire protection market segment
- Technical expertise and practical experience with construction adhesives
- Expertise in fire-resistive construction joint installation
- Adept at influencing construction specifications; Conversant at all stakeholder levels: Building Owner, Architect, Code Officials, General Contractors, Sub-Contractors (management and skilled trade professionals)
- Understanding of U.S. and Global building codes
- Data analysis and database management
- Computer drafting (2D & 3D)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Expertise with Underwriters Laboratories (UL), American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM), International Organization for Standardization ()ISO and European Norm (EN) fire test standards
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills
- Microsoft Office proficient
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.