Responsible for make ready, running, & teardown of the saddle stitch machine, as well as maintaining competitive run speeds and maintenance of machine. Speed expectations will be set by Estimating Department and Project Management for specific projects. Additional cross training will be provided so that operator can learn to make ready and run other bindery machinery as needed.
- Operates the saddle stitcher to achieve maximum quality throughout job process; consistently achieves excellent performance during make-readies and production runs following all company SOPs.
- Inspects quality throughout the project run; responsible for checking random pieces throughout the run, as well as collecting Quality Pulls.
- If stitching problems are encountered, flags, isolates and tags non-conforming product; troubleshoots machinery and makes proper corrections to continue processing the order.
- Maintains accurate written records of production; records waste, production time, down time etc.
- Utilizes hand truck to remove loads from stitcher.
- Trains personnel in saddle stitching process operation and troubleshoot skills.
- Able to trouble-shoot and problem solve difficult projects.
- Ensures that saddle stitching equipment is well maintained and operating within required standards in terms of process controls, planned maintenance schedules, make ready and running standards.
- Performs maintenance duties on stitcher as necessary.
- Recommends equipment repairs, the ordering of parts and supplies as needed.
- Able to read and interpret information from the bindery ticket; planning specifications, layouts, proofs and job ticket.
- Achieves competency and meets standards in regards to make ready and run times as established by the company.
- Communicates with Bindery Supervisor on the validity of standards and expectations set from production planning. Makes recommendations on revised expectations to Bindery Supervisor and production planning department when necessary.
- Promptly and accurately records productivity for evaluation against expectations that have been set.
- Responsible for coaching, training, and directing any general bindery workers, apprentice bindery employees, and temporary labor in executing tasks when they are assisting on the saddle stitching equipment.
- Operates other bindery equipment when necessary to maintain the flexibility of the bindery department.
- Informs shift lead or Bindery Supervisor of any immediate concerns related to the successful operation of the equipment.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures, safety rules, security procedures and instructions.
- Performs all duties according to established safety policy, including wearing all PPEs to perform duties.
- Adheres to all GMP procedures including Labeling and Line Clearing.
- Contributes to or attends scheduled production meetings or project meetings as required.
- Willing to work flexible hours as necessary, exemplary attendance record is a must.
- Performs housekeeping tasks, maintaining cleanliness of equipment and work area.
- Works proactively to promote teamwork at all levels of the company.
- Participates in training on other bindery equipment.
- Performs other duties as requested by Bindery Supervisor.
A little about us:
Join a company changing the fast-moving world of communications, where people like, link, pin, post and share. At RR Donnelley, we do it all.