Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Monsanto Vegetable Division, a division that includes De Ruiter Seeds, Seminis Seeds and the International Seed Group. At Monsanto, we are committed to recruiting and retaining the best individuals through our team-oriented culture that encourages creativity, decision-making, and entrepreneurial spirit.
We are seeking a highly motivated FS Operations Manager. The FS Operations Manager will primarily be responsible for supporting the activities of the on-site Foundation Seed Crop Specialists. This is an excellent opportunity to work with leading technology and talented cross functional scientists seeking to deliver the very best vegetable crop genetics.
This position is responsible for increasing Foundation Seed of multiple crops that is of the highest genetic purity and physical condition. The responsibilities of the role include:
• Manage the Foundation Seed Cage Area
• Will manage full time Assistant(s) and Technician(s) as well as temporary workers
• Work together with other crop specialists to ensure high quality foundation seed
• Work with other departments on site for ESH, Phytosanitary, and any other sitewide responsibilities
• Being responsible for working ground, putting up and taking down cages, and harvesting seed on multiple vegetable crops
• Will work closely with our inside farming and outside farming teams
• Maintenance of equipment in the off-season
• Manage all cultural practices that are necessary at the foundation seed cages
• Manage the foundation seed operation processes, including seed extraction and cleaning
• Keep up to date with all CAL OSHA requirements
• Serve on safety teams as needed Required Skills:
- Minimum of a B.S. in a scientific discipline plus 4+ years of relevant experience
- Experience and/or coursework in agronomy or horticulture is desirable
- 2+ years of experience supervising large labor crews
- Detail oriented, good organizational, communication and human relation skills
- Ability to interact cross-functionally with various internal departments and external agencies to ensure Monsanto ESH and compliance requirements are met
- Excellent communications skills including the capability to clearly present information as well as the ability to communicate in a multi-national and cultural organization as an individual or as a team member
- Decision making and problem solving skills. Capability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting good judgment and a realistic understanding of issues challenging the status quo to improve processes and the way things are done
- Must be capable of working in adverse conditions such as field or greenhouse situations. Employee performs repetitive keyboarding tasks. Employee is also required frequently to walk on uneven or slippery surfaces. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.