Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) is in the customer service business across food, facilities and uniforms, wherever people work, learn, recover, and play. United by a passion to serve, our more than 270,000 employees deliver experiences that enrich and nourish the lives of millions of people in 22 countries around the world every day. Aramark is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and the World's Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter. Description
The General Ledger (GL) Senior Accountant performs a variety of routine and non-routine accounting functions with responsibility for the month-end close process, balance sheet review, and monthly variance and other analyses. In addition, the Senior Accountant will perform a first-level review for the work product of GL Accountants and will be responsible for advanced general ledger tasks and projects assigned by the GL Team Lead. The Senior Accountant will also support other accountants by training and serving as a knowledge source related to GL tasks. Strong technical accounting and interpersonal skills are needed for success in this role. This role reports to the General Ledger Team Lead.
- Assists GL Accountants with advanced questions and tasks including month-end close, journal entries, field questions and balance sheet reconciliations. Provides assistance to accountants in understanding and performing SOX controls. Understands advanced concepts relating to accounting and controls and relays those concepts concisely to accountants both formally and informally.
- Supports the GL Team Manager with training new staff, internal control testing, deferred income reconciliations, over the top ledger analysis, and other analyses and projects as assigned. Follows up with accountants on issues arising from the review of these items. Reports progress to GL Team Manager and assists with oversight of team deadlines and corrective action when necessary.
- Ensures deadlines for month-end close and financial reporting requirements are met and all accounting and reporting activities are performed in accordance with the accounting policies and/or the financial procedures of the organization.
- Reviews balance sheet reconciliations of other GL Accountants in cooperation with the GL Team Manager.
- Maintains and monitors applicable SOX controls and provides associated support to other team members as well as internal and external auditors. Participates in testing for SOX processes to ensure that accounting controls are operating effectively. Supports internal and external audits by providing audit schedules and analyses and responding to inquiries. Assists other accountants in tasks related to SOX controls and internal and external audit inquiries.
- Participates in ad hoc special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance with at least 4-6 years of relevant experience in an accounting function is required
- Strong analytical and technical accounting skills are necessary for success in this role.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to concisely and accurately relay advanced concepts to junior team members.
- Ability to objectively review and comment on others' work product and to recommend corrective action where necessary.
- Strong Excel skills are required.
- Experience with and knowledge of ERP accounting software and all Microsoft Office applications is required. Oracle experience preferred.
- Ability to develop relationships with diverse groups and various levels of financial and operating personnel and to work with those individuals on advanced, project-based tasks.
- Experience in a shared services / centralized accounting environment performing field accounting activities is preferred.
- Ability to work under limited supervision in resolving more complex issues.
- Flexibility, multi-tasking, creative thinking, good business judgment, and strong organizational and communication skills are all required to meet strict deadlines and manage various projects.
- Must be a strong team player and leader, highly motivated, and able to work under pressure during peak periods.
- Ability to perform complex accounting tasks and functions.
- Ability to communicate well with internal and external parties, including the field, customers, banks, vendors, and other Global Business Services team members and provide excellent customer service.
A little about us:
At Aramark, we believe that each of our employees can play an important role in creating the great experiences that become lasting memories.