This is a talent pipeline req for potential future needs . This role can be filled at either the Senior Claim Rep (T8) or Claim Consultant (T8) level depending on experience.
The General Liability Litigation Senior Claim Representative or Claim Consultant is accountable for delivering superior customer service and successfully investigating, strategizing, reserving, executing, controlling, valuing and resolving all assigned claims consistent with corporate claim standards, policies and procedures and statutory, regulatory and ethics requirements. This individual will serve as a claim specialist on claims with coverage and compensability issues, litigation, and complex opportunities, while demonstrating technical mastery in managing claims of increasing complexity within the operation.
As a Hartford Claims employee, you will:
Manage Claim Files
- Plan, recommend, reserve, and execute file strategies including investigation, valuation, disposition and settlement of assigned litigated and non-litigated, mid-range complexity claims, in a manner consistent with corporate claim standards, policies and procedures and statutory, regulatory and ethics requirements.
- Handle claim files in a manner consistent with Claim quality standards and goals.
- Provide high-quality customer service consistently
- Maintain dedication to meeting or exceeding expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Properly assess the exposure of assigned claims
- Utilize organizational and communication skills to have effective resolution of assignments, manage claim deadlines, and appropriately manage vendors.
- Possess claim functional knowledge to appropriately interpret and apply insurance coverage.
- Develop technical and jurisdictional expertise.
- Set appropriate and timely file reserves.
- Maintain current knowledge of claim loss cost containment initiatives, and utilize them appropriately and in a manner consistent with company practices and procedures.
- Identify and properly manage mitigation, subrogation, salvage and other recovery opportunities.
- Identify fraud indicators and initiate investigation.
- Obtain first-hand customer information; use it for improvements in products and services.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with customers, gaining their trust and respect. Demonstrate diplomacy and tact to effectively avoid or diffuse high-tension situations.
- Negotiate skillfully in challenging situations with internal and external groups.
- Set aggressive and realistic expectations for responding and follow through on commitments.
- Always demonstrate professionalism and establish credibility when interacting with customers; personally enhance The Hartford's reputation in the marketplace.
- Treat all customers with respect and careful attention.
- Clearly explain complex or technical information that is helpful to customers.
Utilize Business Acumen and Technical Expertise
- Utilize verbal and numerical critical thinking skills to gather information, apply sound reasoning and draw appropriate conclusions; make sound decisions based upon mixture of analysis, wisdom experience and judgment.
- Play proactive role in Litigation Management; working with claim counsel
- Apply principles of general financial analysis to achieve results.
- Accurately resolve complex coverage and compensability issues.
- Maintain action-oriented, confident approach to work assignments.
- Communicate orally and in writing in a clear succinct manner.
- Possess the ability to investigate, evaluate and negotiate complex claims to appropriate disposition.
- Possess superior analytical and critical thinking skills; expert knowledge of complex medical terms, excellent time management abilities.
- Possess the advanced technical knowledge to properly reserve highly complex claims.
- Properly apply statutory laws and regulations of applicable jurisdiction.
- Demonstrate advanced expertise to utilize claim management practices to effectively manage loss costs.
- Contribute to loss cost management by recognizing potential for Subrogation and Special Investigation.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to efficiently perform job functions.
- Knowledge and experience utilizing basic software programs.
- Set challenging work goals and high standards for self; continually evaluate self against performance targets, striving to exceed expectations.
Foster Teamwork and Inclusion
- Support and help create a team environment that achieves diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Build appropriate rapport and constructive and effective relationships with people inside and outside the organization.
- Represent The Hartford as a credible, trustworthy, flexible and dependable resource.
- Demonstrate courtesy, honesty, integrity, respect and competence when interacting with others. Embrace leadership role among claim handlers and offer advanced expertise to help teammates solve problems, learn new skills and accomplish goals.
- Consistently act with the highest level of integrity and adhere to general principles of business ethics.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- At least five years relevant experience handling general liability claims
- Technical expertise in managing claims of increasing complexity
- Excellent communication skills, oral, written, collaboration and negotiation
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Adept at managing conflict as an opportunity to listen and share information while negotiating a win/win outcome that supports The Hartford's and the claimant's best interests
- Leader among claim handlers providing advanced expertise to teammates in solving problems
- Strong computer proficiency in utilizing software programs
- College degree preferred or 5 years relevant work experience required
- Consistent high level of performance and achievement over career span
- State required certification exams and adjusting licenses
- SCLA or CPCU designation preferred
- Demonstrated level of competency as described in Competency Profile
Behaviors at The Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?
- This is a talent pipeline req for potential future needs.
- This role can be filled at either the Senior Claim Rep (T8) or Claim Consultant (T8) level depending on experience.
- This position reports to the Eastern General Liability Litigation Claim Center located in Windsor, CT and will handle General Liability Litigation and Lit Plus claims in The Hartford's Eastern claim region.
- Remote work is an option
The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity.