Cancer Genetic Counselor
Work Schedule : Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm
Location : Medical City Plano Hospital
Since opening our doors in 1975, Medical City Plano has provided Plano and Collin County with advanced health care. We've built our reputation on the exceptional compassion we offer all our patients, a legacy preserved from our simple beginnings as a small community hospital. Now, as a world-class medical facility offering the latest in technologies and a comprehensive range of health care services, Medical City Plano continues its growth to maintain its position as a leader in health care across the region.
Medical City Plano is a full-service, 493-bed acute care hospital with more than 1,600 employees and over 1,000 physicians on staff, representing over 70 specialties and subspecialties. The medical staff at Medical City Plano is a diverse group of experienced professionals. They are dedicated and committed to using new technologies and keeping up-to-date on recent advancements in health care. Every member of our staff - including nurses, radiologists, therapists, pharmacists, support staff, management and administration - is focused on the health and comfort of every patient who comes through our doors.
Cancer Genetic Counselor Job Summary :
The Genetic Counselor creates, develops and implements specialized clinical practice in the specific area of oncology and genetics. Provides genetic counseling for appropriate patients and family members. Serves as a clinical resource person in the area of oncology genetics, and serves as a liaison throughout the facility and in the community regarding services provided for this unique patient population.
Genetic Counselor Job Responsibilities :
- Establish a cancer genetic counseling practice for hereditary cancer families.
- Gather and review pertinent medical records, take a family pedigree and medical history and interpretation of same.
- Provide information about the medical genetic diagnosis, etiology, inheritance patterns, and risk of occurrence and reoccurrence.
- Collaborate with referring physician and develop a counseling summary.
- Develop education and outreach programs.
- Develop a research infrastructure that will facilitate on-going research.
Cancer Genetic Counselor Job Requirements :
- Education: Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling
- Licensure/Certification/Registration: Certified genetic counselor, or eligible to take the genetic counseling boards with the contingency of passing boards within one year.
- Experience: At least one year of experience in cancer genetic counseling preferred, but not required
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Expertise in risk assessment counseling and constructing a detailed pedigree. Ability to establish the relevancy of genetic information and evaluate eligibility for genetic testing. Ability to work independently and function as a part of an interdisciplinary oncology team to continuously improve the process to enhance patient outcomes. Effective communication and problem solving skills. Knowledge base in adult learning theory. Able to apply knowledge to education offerings. Participation in committees related to cancer.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom