The Accountant I will be a contributor to the financial close process and financial reporting for the Global Business Services group. He/she will be responsible for contributing to the production of accurate and timely reporting of monthly / quarterly / annual results at the Group level. The financial accountant will bear responsibility for certain aspects of the financial accounting results through reconciliations, analysis, and monthly journal entries. All activities of this position will be performed in conformance with our established policies as well as GAAP, SOX, and any other applicable regulatory requirements.
Participate in the monthly and quarterly accounting close, including the preparation of journal entries. Responsibilities will also include assigned accounting tasks/calulations,financial statement analysis as needed and reporting of data to support our external SEC filings. Ensure all information received by the business units, subsidiary systems, and interfaces are accurate, timely and are in compliance with all GAAP and U.S. statutory requirements.
Perform and document balance sheet account reconciliations as well as financial statement analysis on a monthly basis. Ad Hoc reporting and analysis to support the financials and other projects.
Participate in all aspects of internal and external financial and operational audits.
Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of established internal controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley. This will include making recommendations for enhancements or modifications to existing processes and systems. Responsible for the preparation of monthly and quarterly Sarbanes-Oxley control packages per the documented requirements.
Prepare and file all required government data surveys. Perform special projects as required.
Education & Experience Requirements:
• BS Degree in Accounting required.
• Background in public accounting is a plus, Big 4 is a plus.
• Prior experience as part of an accounting team within a global company is a plus.
• 0-2+ years of related experience with cost and inventory accounting for product manufacturing
• Experience in service-oriented or shared services finance organization would be a plus.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
• Strong knowledge of MS Excel. Functional ability in Word and PowerPoint. Familiarity with MS Access would also be a plus.
• Experience with Oracle's JD Edwards or SAP is a strong plus, as well as experience with Hyperion Financial Manager (HFM).
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are needed. Must have the ability to interact with peers as well as management throughout the Company. Building relationships will be a key success factor for this position. Another key success factor will be the ability to handle ambiguity and to deal effectively with a constantly changing environment.
• A demonstrated customer service focus will be critical for this position. This is a service organization and that will require the highest commitment to understanding customer needs and meeting/exceeding their expectations.
• The successful candidate needs to be able to work in a fast paced environment, be creative, be energetic and be enthusiastic.
• The successful candidate will at times be the first person people encounter when contacting the Global Business Services Group. As a result of this visibility, he/she must ensure all communications and interactions are professional, courteous and show a desire to be of service.
Other Job Requirements:
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.