Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Global Medical Director (GMD) holds primary responsibility for the development and execution of integrated global customer strategy & medical solutions which are aligned with Merck's Top Customer Plans.
The GMD is fully assigned to Top Customer Solutions Team. She/he helps design, develop prototypes, and deploy solutions across a broad range of potential areas including patient population management, coordinated care, adherence (medication, treatment protocols), data and analytics services, HCP and patient engagement to enhance health outcomes based on deep customer insights and interactions with customers and Strategic Acct leads. She/he will work with Regional Directors Medical Affairs (RDMAs)and country medical affairs teams providing guidance and direct opportunities for platform development and scale solutions across customers. The GMD provides overall strategic medical guidance to the Customer Solutions team, can lead advisory boards and expert input forums, and ensures that patient level data generation activities for the Top Customer Solutions Team are conducted in accordance with Merck's policies for local and global studies. Responsibilities:
- Leads design and integration of defined prioritized medical initiatives across the Global Medical Affairs Plans with Top Global Customers, reflecting the needs and opportunities of Mutual Areas of Interest for Merck and Customers,
- Medical Affairs role for comprehensive healthcare solution engineering design, development, and deployment with large, institutional customers
- Collaborates to help ensure solution/services have clear identified medical value propositions for patients
- Establishes healthcare solution protocols and frameworks that accelerate progress across customers
- Helps determine key integration opportunities across HCPs and patients segments of customers appropriately.
- Engages and advises the RDMAs and Japan/US Medical Affairs Leads on the integration and execution in their respective regions.
- For ex-US, scientific communication through contacts, meetings and presentations with/for key stakeholders in accordance with applicable policy and guidance documents. For U.S., no interaction with US scientific leaders unless at advisory board or Expert Input Forum, consistent with applicable policies and guidance documents.
- For ex-US, has medical affairs oversight of patient level data generation activities for the Top Customers Solutions Team, ensuring they are compliant with Merck's policies for studies. For US, has effective liaison with CORE for data generation.
- The GMD within Customer Centricity (Customer Strategy and Innovation) serves as the authoritative Global Medical Affairs expert for solution-based initiatives co-created with Top Global Customers.
- Can lead advisory boards and expert input forums, as appropriate.
- Leads patient level data generation activities in accordance with Merck's policies for studies.
- Designs, develops and leads execution of the co-created initiatives aligned to Top Customer Plans.
- Recommends to Top Customer Solutions Team key medical priorities per Customer and works across the GMA and other organizations to execute agreed priorities
- Recommends new studies, medical activities and prioritized investments for solutions to Top Customer Solutions Team appropriately that address unmet needs
- Ensures alignment of medical activities to the Team's priorities
- May provide PDT (CORE) or Clinical PDT input to extent Committee needs input from GMA.
- The GMD does not manage people.
This position may be field-based in the US. Qualifications:
Education Minimum Requirement:
- MD, PhD or PharmD is required; recognized expertise through 5 yrs clinical and research experience (incl publications) in therapy area is desired
- MD ID, PhD or PharmD is required; recognized expertise through 5 yrs clinical and research experience (incl publications) in therapy area is desired
- Healthcare IT systems expertise and application
- Strong understanding of customer data (EMR, Rx, Lab,) and data management systems with knowledge of data privacy and security policies
- Customer engagement experience associated with hospitals, integrated delivery systems and electronic patient records and associated stakeholders
- Proven ability to effectively communicate information at management level and to external senior customer staff .
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication (written as well as oral), results oriented facilitation and consultative skills to influence decision making.
- Strong prioritization skills and ability to understand how decisions fit into the broader context of corporate strategies
- In a matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate across divisions
- Clinical, research and business acumen
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement