Bristol-Myers Squibb is a diversified specialty biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
The Bristol-Myers Squibb North America Capability Center is a state-of-the-art facility in Tampa, Florida, providing strategic capabilities for delivering end-to-end process excellence and innovation. The center provides high knowledge-based capabilities and services across multiple disciplines and is part of our ongoing efforts in continuous process improvement. At the North America Capability Center we continue to explore ways to simplify processes and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of our operations.
Responsible for leading and managing the Bristol-Myers Squibb (‘BMS’) Tier 3 Category Management program (‘T3’) for GPS, that includes 4 global, technical categories with approximately $ 350 MM in total annual spend. Leads development and execution of T3 category strategies to leverage buying power through sourcing, negotiating, contracting and design of streamlined purchasing practices. Engages partners within Global Procurement, the business and the plants, to lead collaborative design and to drive these plans. Serves as business parnter and escalation point for business leaders for Tier 3 categories; owns a seat on business leadership teams. Ensures execution of strategies is coordinated across regions/plants -- critical since many T3 categories are complex and regional.
For all tiers of GPS Spend, totalling approximately $2.3B, drives resource allocation for Sourcing Excellence staff. Balances critical competing priorities, via engagement with other Category Leaders and GPS business partners, who ultimately own the portfolio of projects. Ensures resources have required capabilities in sourcing, contracting, analytics, and Supplier Relationship Management (‘SRM’) and are employing leading practices on a fit-for-purpose basis. Ensures ongoing onboarding of new resources into highly technical/scientific GPS categories. Annual book of work includes approximately 370 sourcing/other projects and approximately 413 contracts (MSAs, SOWs, Standalones, CDAs -- 2016 data).
Support/drive sourcing projects that generate an annual savings pipeline of approximately $70MM (2016 data). Projects are subject to all BMS policies and external regulations/laws, including FCPA, FDA, EMA, SOX, Sunshine Act, and others).
Ensures that total costs are identified and optimal savings are realized in the execution of contracts, the incumbent works closely with Functional Tier 1 and 2 Category Leads and/or Business Partners.
Works with global counterparts to synchronize, harmonize or coordinate the execution of global category strategies to ensure value capture. Ensures communication between global and regional GP leaders and teams to accomplish this. Responsibilities:
- Guide and support Global Production and Supply teams to establish procurement plans that are developed and executed in congruence with organizational objectives and sourcing strategies.
- Locate and select potential sources of materials and/or services; develop and review specifications, statements of work, performance terms, and/or acceptance criteria; review and revise procurement practices to ensure their conformance with established laws.
- Employ appropriate methods of procurement, and perform cost benefit analysis on planned acquisitions; prepare and solicit competitive bids, quotations and proposals with pertinent specifications, terms and conditions.
- Evaluate and execute competitive offerings to determine the overall best offer for a product or service, negotiating contracts, obtaining legal review and approval, facilitating and issuing contracts, leveraging BPO partners to support facilitiation/administration of contracts where appropriate.
- As required, develop financing and leveraging strategies, including assessing decisions to “make, buy or lease,” privatize or outsource products or services.
Supplier Relationship Management:
Tier 3 Categories
- Guide the BPO partner to develop, evaluate or manage internal and external relationships with suppliers, cross-functional and/or multi-functional teams regarding conducting supplier visits and evaluations to determine sustainable supplier performance. Serve as the internal owner/sponsor for key supplier relationships.
Tier 1 and 2 Categories
- For selected business priorities: work jointly with the Global Production and Supply business partner teams by providing staff or directly supporting relationships and programs.
- Develop, evaluate or manage internal and external relationships with suppliers, cross-functional and/or multi-functional teams regarding conducting supplier visits and evaluations to determine sustainable supplier performance.
- Set criteria to measure supplier performance using rating systems or predetermined standards and develop measurements for quality improvement and target setting.
- Work with Category Leaders to establish preferred supplier lists for each Category of spend and manage compliance to the preferred supplier list.
- Provide prioritized analytics on supplier spend, category spend, and pricing for high risk items (to ensure compliance to contracts).
GPS Forecasting & Strategies:
Tier 3 Categories
- Manage establishment of purchasing, sourcing and supply strategies based on forecasted data; develop and communicate supply plans and strategies based on future demand forecasts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide current and future market conditions data to Management, supply management and/or user departments; develop cost reduction, cost avoidance, cost containment plans.
- Develop and maintain market awareness through market intelligence, stakeholder engagement, supply trade organizations and other resources to secure and assess new products and pricing information.
Tier 1-2 Categories
- Provide & develop Sourcing Excellence team to generate prioritized analytics for business forecasts. SE team generates spend analytics and coordinate with Center of Excellence Market Intelligence team on market and commodity research and forecasing, in order to provide synthesized analyses.
- Address prioritized needs of Global Production and Supply business partners.
Management & Organization:
Qualifications: Role Requirements:
- Develop strategic plans and objectives for Outsourcing Partners and internal regional organizations; prepare and administer departmental budgets.
- Ensure Procurement and Supply Department alignment with organizational goals; develop or utilize criteria for evaluating procurement department and staff performance, including evaluating and resolving department performance and procurement audit report issues.
- Oversee compliance programs and ensure compliance and risk responsibilities are appropriately staffed and training conducted.
- Accountable for projects and their full compliance with BMS policies and external regulations/laws, including FCPA, FDA, EMA, SOX, Sunshine Act, and others).
- Recruit, hire, onboard, train, and develop a fungible talent pool from spanning manager to analyst levels. Providing a pipeline of future sourcing managers for Global Procurement. Manage BPO partners as well as full-time employees, contractors and CoOps. Manage dynamic staffing changes (promotion, rotation) and knowledge transfer due to pipelining and development responsibilities.
- Monitor quality and efficiency of staff, and selectively guides projects to ensure excellence in delivery. Conduct and/or support career development planning, providing appropriate training and coaching in alignment with individual development plans; utilize techniques such as developing and managing effective relationships with supplier partnerships, strategic alliances, supply chain management and supplier training programs.
- Bachelors degree required
- Masters degree preferred
- Minimum of 15 years' business experience, with at least 5 years' multi-disciplined procurement experience.
- At least 6 years' Procurement leadership experience, including proven procurement leadership experience in Pharma/bio-pharma or scientific industrial manufacturing and production procurement.
- Procurement process expertise: agreement negotiation and management, financial analysis, market analysis, supplier analysis, supplier diversity, supplier management, technology utilization, strategic planning and integrated supply chain experience, including relevant experience in production and Supply categories.
- At least 5 years' experience directly leading and managing teams, including large groups of professionals and third party providers.
- Experienced in leading and participating on cross-functional and/or global teams, and a track record of successfully leading projects and functional and cross-functional problem-solving initiatives.
- Proficiency in internal stakeholder management and engagement, data and information management, category management, process redesign and continuous improvement expertise, project management and performance measurement.
Ideal Candidates Would Also Have:
- Advanced qualifications/education.
- Relevant professional certifications [e.g Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM), Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM), Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP), Certified in Production and Inventory Management. (CPIM)]
- Membership in Professional Associations, e.g. Institute of Supply Management. (ISM)
- US military experience will be considered towards industry and professional experience requirements.