Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever with the remainder of an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality.
Ben & Jerry’s has an inspiring ambition. We aim to be Unilever’s next billion € brand by 2020. We are expanding rapidly in Europe and in new markets in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment married without uncompromising grassroots and activist spirit. That is how we remain a true purpose-led organization with a connected 3-part mission that are reflected in our KPI’s:
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Social mission: We initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally specifically on Climate Justice and Social Justice, Racial Justice, and Economic Justice
- Product mission: We make and distribute the finest quality natural ice cream and euphoric concoctions
- Economic mission: We operate our Company for sustainable, Profitable financial growth
The Global Social Mission Officer serves as a senior leader for the Company’s Social Mission initiatives at global and regional levels and leads the global Social Mission team. The Global Social Mission Officer will lead key facets of the work laid out in the Ben & Jerry’s three-part Mission and Progressive Values Statements that direct the Company to:
- initiate innovative ways the business can positively affect society
- advance understanding and sustainable, replicable actions on Climate Justice and Social Justice, Racial Justice, and Economic Justice
- integrate environmental considerations throughout our business
- support sustainable & safe methods of food production
- seek & support nonviolent ways to achieve peace & justice
- strive to show deep respect for human beings and the communities in which we do business
The Global Social Mission Officer is responsible for overall vision and strategy linking our external campaigns on global strategy activity platforms on Social, Racial, and Economic Justice and Climate justice with our internal “walk the talk” programs: low carbon & climate resilient value chain; restorative dairy model; equitable & inclusive value chain and the Fairtrade enterprise mode (PDI)
Recent external campaigns, advocacy, and activism have included a global climate campaign supporting COP21, Black Lives Matter and other initiatives addressing structural racism, campaigns addressing the Refugee crisis in Europe, pro-Democracy voter registration and engagement campaigns in the UK and US, Marriage Equality campaigns in UK, Ireland, Australia, US (and others), and specific local campaigns like Save the Reef in Australia or stop fracking in the UK. This role success will be measure by making measurable progress that demonstrates impact on key priorities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve on Ben & Jerry’s senior leadership team, contributing to overall company policy development and direction and sustaining a culture of inclusion and belonging
- Direct a global, multicultural team that develops leading, relevant Social Activism initiatives in keeping with the Company’s three-part Statement of Mission and its Progressive Values statement and manage the training, development and performance of the Global Social Mission team.
- Create leading-edge initiatives to keep Ben & Jerry’s at the forefront of progressive business practices through community involvement and external campaigns, working with the B&J Social Mission Policy Director
- Generate actionable plans to develop and strengthen Ben & Jerry’s pioneering business model of linked prosperity, with an emphasis on justice-focused initiatives, working with the B&J Social Mission Policy Director.
- Collaborate with NGOs, like-minded businesses, and other partners to develop organizing, policy advocacy, and communications strategies to achieve our social mission priorities
- Build and sustain robust, trusting relationships with communities of color and leaders most knowledgeable about racial justice and structural racism
- Support the creation and distribution of communications on social mission activities and issues, including content for our website, social media, and newsletters
- Liaise with and brief the Ben & Jerry’s independent Board of Directors on the progress of global Social Mission initiatives
- Develop and nurture key stakeholder and thought leader relationships, across the globe, to keep Social Activism initiatives at the forefront of the way we do business.
- Serve as a spokesperson and public advocate on Ben & Jerry’s and our Social Mission activities and campaigns.
- Manage all associated budgets
Our People Profile
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Extensive experience managing comparable programs, including experience developing and implementing advocacy campaigns. Deep content knowledge, and a passionate commitment to racial equity, social, economic, and climate justice
- Demonstrated track record leading teams with a rich mix of race, class, cultures, and languages and ability to manage experts on a team to bring out high levels of performance by nurturing empowerment and share ownership
- Experience working in a fast-paced, creative environment and international working culture and managing work across global remote teams
- Excellent project management and strategic facilitation skills and demonstrated resilience managing changing, complex agendas
- Strong, high-level network among racial equity, and social, economic, and climate justice leaders and organizations in the United States and the ability to expand those relationships globally
- Strong global political instincts and the ability to solve complex problems within multicultural organizations and demonstrated ability to work with and influence senior leaders, executives, and Boards of Directors
- Emotional intelligence, self-awareness, and expertise on the concepts and dynamics of race including group identity and power dynamics, structural racism, implicit bias, coded appeals, microaggressions, and racial anxiety
- Strong understanding of the use of social media to build movements and campaign support
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively to multiple audiences, including with the media and press
- To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with our social mission agenda
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders
- Mastery: continuously learn and develop to remain an expert in your functional area
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social change
- Equity: recognizing power dynamics and how biases play out in interactions throughout society; this awareness and these skills are necessary so that throughout our business we engage respectfully and make decisions fairly
Please note: as part of the job application, you may be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law .
With more than 400 brands focused on health and wellbeing, no company touches so many people’s lives in so many different ways.