Janssen Research & Development, LLC ., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for an Senior Principal Scientist, located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/
for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The new Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences (DS) organization in Janssen R&D, and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical starting points needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area (TA) discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, HTS, and structural biology coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The candidate will lead the Structural Biology group, consisting of five x-ray crystallographers and protein NMR scientists, in the Small Molecule Protein Science department. Responsibilities include:
- Shaping, coordinating and leading research efforts to discovery and optimize small molecule protein ligands towards development of novel therapeutic agents
- Build highly effective working relationships within drug discovery teams, working closely with medicinal chemists, computational chemists, protein scientists and biochemists
- Work closely with other drug discovery leaders to develop and utilize innovative SBDD and FBDD approaches for small molecule discovery and optimization
- Set standards to deepen the scientific expertise of the group, and develop/mentor group members
- Establish valuable academic collaborations, publish high-impact research papers, manage the activities of contract research organizations, and contribute to strategic direction of the Small Molecule Protein Science department
- Ph.D. in structural biology (x-ray crystallography or protein NMR) or related field is required
- At least 10 years of drug discovery experience with a record of important contributions to development of novel clinical candidates is required
- Recognized scientific expert in structural biology - Strong record of external publications and presentations is required
- Strong record of success in employing Structure Based Drug Design (SBDD) and Fragment Based Lead Discovery (FBLD/FBDD) approaches utilizing x-ray crystallography and/or protein NMR are required
- Broad drug discovery background, with knowledge of biophysics, biochemistry, molecular pharmacology, and protein sciences are required
- Outstanding leadership capabilities - Adept at building effective drug discovery teams is required
- Leadership experience (line manager, coaching, mentoring, leading projects, etc) is required
- Record of success in working with external research organizations, including academic institutions, contract research organizations, and/or public-private consortia is preferred
- Experience in scientific programming (Unix shells, Python, Perl), and ability to work with the latest relevant software packages and in a mixed Linux/Windows computational environment is preferred
- Experience as a drug discovery program team leader is preferred
- Expertise in one or more of the following therapeutic areas: Oncology, Inflammation, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular, and Infectious Diseases is preferred
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring HouseOrganization
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)Job Function