Blizzard Entertainment has been rated for several years by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work." We are a community of over 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only about gaming, but entertainment and the technology that drives our users experience. Our goal is delighting our customers, and providing a world of creativity and adventure around every corner.
Our Battle.net organization is home to 300 super-powered, passionate, crazy-smart engineers, program managers, and designers focused on the technology that powers and enables our games. Whether you're a first timer or a loyal regular, Battle.net ensures that while playing Blizzard's games, or interacting socially with friends or purchasing from our extensive e-commerce offerings, that our players are immersed in an engaging, exciting, and secure experience.
You're a motivated, engaged, and thoughtful technical leader who has a track record and passion for building high performance distributed systems across the world; someone who will build core development systems for hosting distributed services, capturing telemetry, and automating tests for all of Blizzard.
Our technology platform, like our users, span the globe and require a group technical manager to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering projects and challenges we face daily. You hold the vision for the technical direction of the group and ensure that your leads are aligned to that vision. Decision making needs to be towards multi-year goals with vision and strategic direction. In this role you will lead technical leads and architects to manage the technology of the group and be a mentor and developer to your team. In partnership with the group program manager, you will have end-to-end responsibility and accountability for the group.
We are building a platform that is more scalable, more performant, more reliable, and will provide unified analytics. We are also enabling new features that can drive significant impact for Blizzard games and customers globally.Responsibilities
- Scale as a broad leader to guide a group of 40 engineers, technical leads, and architects to design, implement, and maintain Blizzard's shared engineering platform.
- Partner with technical leads to carefully assess and ensure that software is being developed at high quality and meets the platform tenets including availability, scalability, efficiency, security, maintainability, and operability.
- Directly interact with stakeholders, executives, and engineering leaders across Blizzard. Excellent communications skills are a must.
- Able to split time effectively managing, developing, and mentoring leaders and setting technical direction while driving alignment.
- Drive Blizzard's strategy for cloud computing and deployment, big data and analytics, and automated testing.
- Forward thinking with focus on multi-year goals for engineering and subsequently executing against them.
- Proven experience and decision making capabilities.
- Technical, managerial, and leadership skills at the lead software engineer or technical director level
- A minimum of 10 years' engineering experience in distributed systems, servers, networking, test, cloud computing, or other mission critical production software
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience managing other technical managers across multiple disciplines
- Knowledge of Open Source software and the Linux ecosystem
- Must exhibit exceptional leadership skills that include, but are not limited to selection, performance management, talent planning, and development and recognition
- Strong effective communications and presentation skills and the ability to influence at all levels
- Experience leading server development in C , Go, or Java
- Experience leading test infrastructure with C#
- Love for experimentation and knowing the bleeding edge without necessarily jumping to it immediately
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.