Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a highly organized individual with outstanding communications skills, proven experience in production, and a track record of shipping large scale global projects to lead our future efforts in creating an epic customer service technology platform.
Service technologies projects, like our users, span the globe and require a group technical manager to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering projects and challenges we face daily. As the group technical manager, you will lead complex engineering projects integrating with multiple Blizzard systems. You hold the vision for the technical direction of the group and ensure that the managers are aligned to that vision. Decision making needs to be towards multi-year goals with vision and strategic direction. This role will lead and guide technical managers and architects. Your role will be to grow and develop the engineering leaders in the group. You will have end to end responsibility and accountability for the engineering output of the group.
You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire project lifecycle. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses and recommendations to service technologies and customer support senior leadership as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in development with engineers.
The focus of the group technical manager will be to ensure we have a controlled cadence to execute on, drive a well-oiled machine in defining our quality and how we measure ourselves against those standards and to create a great environment for our world class developers. Responsibilities
- Responsible for planning long term, wide reaching engineering initiatives for the service technologies team.
- Projects would include but are not limited to the following: significant architectural overhauls to improve performance and stability, increase resilience and reduce dependence on other production systems, and evolve our technology stack to better support the needs of our users.
- Responsible for leading a team to create tools to enhance our engineering initiatives, including monitoring and alerting, telemetry systems, and reporting on system performance.
- Have overall responsibility for service tech build and deployment technology, such as continuous integration initiatives, and evaluating new deployment models (containers and elastic infrastructure for example) to drive efficiency in engineering.
- Coordinating hardware purchases, configuration, and systems administration responsibilities between service technologies and the Blizzard infrastructure teams.
- A minimum of 8 years' engineering design and management experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience with distributed server infrastructures
- Experience with multi-threaded programming
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills are expected in this role
- Strong effective communication and presentation skills and the ability to influence at all levels.
- Demonstrated accuracy and thoroughness
- Must exhibit exceptional leadership skills that include, but are not limited to selection, performance management, talent planning and development and recognition
- Successfully led teams through complex technology implementations
- Proven record of developing solutions to new problems, or continuously improving systems and processes
- Must be professionally agile and very comfortable partnering up, down and across a complex business
- An eagerness to embody the core principles of the brand.
- A positive attitude
- Able to interact with all stakeholders and lead by example
- Able to succeed in a sometimes chaotic, undefined environment
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.