The Hartford's Claims IT team is seeking a highly motivated Tech Lead in our Windsor, CT or Charlotte, NC office for office for a high profile, complex and critical application. Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate strong leadership skills, proficiency in managing matrix technical teams, technical acumen, experience in delivering quality technical solutions as well as setting and executing on a strategic technical vision.
Candidates must have excellent technical skills and competency in multiple technical solutions, including Guidewire ClaimCenter Development experience, web development skills, Java expertise, familiarity with PLSQL and Oracle Database. Attention to detail is a must and candidate must have the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Successful candidates will have a willingness to understand existing processes and systems, possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to translate business needs into technical solutions (communication with non-technical team members is as essential as communicating with technical team members). They should be able to make decisions quickly in consultation with team members and subject matter experts and be able to build strong relationships, actively participate in team work and understand the dynamics and critical nature of the business. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide technical leadership by enforcing the vision of the application architecture and safeguarding the integrity of the application environment in alliance with architects and other tech leads.
- Understand and implement the overall technical vision for projects, programs and systems, keeping in mind cross-functional impacts, integration across the organization and architecture rationalization.
- Function as subject matter expert and advocate for the software applications supported, requiring depth and breadth in their knowledge of the business, technologies, applications, integration and interfaces.
- Oversee technical deliverables for maintenance projects through the software development life cycle, including validating the completeness of estimates, quality and accuracy of technical designs, build and implementation.
- Proactively address technical issues and risks that could impact maintenance release schedules and/or financials.
- Work closely with stakeholders to design and document automation solutions that align with the business needs and are consistent with the architectural vision.
- Mentor and train project team members and peers, both internal and vendor partners, to enforce development guidelines and best practices.
- Lead change by influencing and educating Business, IT and Sourcing partners.
- Facilitate continuity between vendor and HIG partners, other IT Groups and Enterprise Architecture.
- Identify opportunities to reduce total cost of ownership in the operational application support areas.
- Work across the organization to provide business process or design recommendations consistent with long term business and IT strategy.
- Work closely with the architecture team to ensure that the technical solution designs and implementation are consistent with the architectural vision.
- Support and consult on disaster recovery and reverse demand planning and testing.
- Develop code that conforms to The Hartford coding standards and industry best practices.
- Work closely with development team, BA's, App managers, QA test leads and architects using Agile/Waterfall methodology.
- Oversee technical deliverables, coaching and mentoring of junior developers and provide technical leadership for same.
- Understand and implement the overall technical vision for projects, programs, or systems, keeping in mind cross-functional impacts, integration across the organization and architecture rationalization.
- Contribute to and promote teamwork in a multi-vendor environment developing complex multi-layered enterprise applications.
- Conduct code reviews and perform code migrations.
- Develop technical documentation for various project deliverables and phases.
- Participate in reviews of architectural designs, requirements and test cases.
- Debug and troubleshoot defects.
- Assist in performance analysis along with application reporting and monitoring.
- Provide innovative ideas and process optimization solutions
- Prior experience as technical lead accountable for delivering and maintaining complex technical solutions.
- Experience in Guidewire configuration and integration development using GOSU with ClaimCenter 7.0/8.0.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of independence but also able to work as a team player.
- Bachelors' degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 7 years of experience developing web based Java/J2EE applications.
- Strong communication, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented design and methodologies.
- Familiar with SDLC including Water Fall and Agile.
- Experience working on development teams for large internet based front-end applications.
- Ability to conduct effective code reviews.
- Hands-on experience, working knowledge and strong technical skills in the following technologies:
- Two or more years' experience designing and supporting implementation of Guidewire products
- Two or more years' experience in Spring Batch Framework.
- Proficiency in designing, implementing and supporting packaged Vendor products.
- Application Server, Weblogic, JBoss.
- SOAP/Restful Web Services, XML and XSD.
- Database technologies such as Oracle, ORM.
- Integration with Web Content Management tools such as FatWire.
- Source Code version tools such as Apache Subversion.
Other relevant skill sets include:
What criteria do we use to Assess, Hire, Develop & Reward our workforce?
- Business Knowledge & Partnership (insurance/financial industry background)
- Planning and Project Management
- Financial Stewardship
- Lean/Six Sigma
What Else Can You Tell Me?
- Data Analysis- Input, understand, analyze and act on data
- Business Owner Mindset- Operate with keen business knowledge, expense, risk & controls driven mindset
- Communication- Influence through a consultative approach
- Customer Driven- Focus on "Harvest" - (our enterprise continuous improvement effort), innovative problem solving, and efficient local decision making for continuous improvement
- Growth & Development- Maximize development of self and others
The Hartford is committed to the education and growth of our Information Technology Professionals. A number of IT Certifications are available to enhance your career and growth potential. IT Professionals at The Hartford may qualify for a stipend up to $1000 per year for additional certifications Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD