The Janssen Human Microbiome Institute (JHMI) has the goal to accelerate the translation of the exciting science of the microbiome into innovative products in multiple therapeutic areas and is seeking an accomplished leader to join the JHMI team as the Head of Product Development. Janssen Pharmaceuticals is the only pharmaceutical company that has strategically dedicated an autonomous team like the JHMI towards delivering microbiome healthcare solutions to the market.
Reporting to the Global Head of the Janssen Human Microbiome Institute, this person will be responsible for developing and executing the JHMIs product development strategy. This person must be forward-thinking, able to build a strategic vision for an innovative product and generate buy-in from both internal and external partners at varying levels of seniority. In addition, this person must be able to drive results through his or her team – able to lead multi-stakeholder, inter-disciplinary working groups to think and act creatively.
The ideal candidate will have an established record in early- and/or late- stage clinical development – especially in circumstances where the target product was first of its kind. The role will require supporting diligence on new candidate assets; building development roadmaps for microbiome products in a range of sectors (consumer, diagnostic, pharmaceutical); and leading development teams responsible for driving assets from discovery through the clinic to market.
- Deliver a product strategy – Evaluate product opportunities that could create further patient/consumer, business or scientific value and propose strategies to bring these opportunities to market. Conduct scenario planning exercises to proactively identify the most advantageous pathways
- Lead product development - Provide strategic direction to Compound Development Teams (CDTs) acting as the primary spokesperson and champion for JHMI driven initiatives. Provide input and review to key regulatory documents
- Conduct diligence on candidate assets – Support diligence activities by coordinating with internal partners and provide expert development opinions to support ‘go-no go’ decisions on asset leads
- Execute a lean-development approach – Invest strategically in early-stage development programs and develop creative approaches to accelerate assets to later stages of development
- Challenge established models, methods and tools – Work with research and development partners to design ‘killer experiments’ to proactively identify risks that could impact successful development of microbiome products
- Alliance management – Support the management of external alliances; Lead co-development or licensing partnerships
- Facilitate knowledge exchange – Actively connect microbiome-related product development and functional teams throughout the other J&J sectors to facilitate exchange of information and organizational learning
- At least 10 years of clinical development experience (early- or late-stage) required
- An MD degree, biochemistry, molecular biology, chemistry or other health science related focus is required.
- At least 5 years of prior experience in Biotech or Pharmaceutical industry strongly preferred
- At least 5 years or prior experience managing traditional or matrixed teams with direct reports strongly preferred
- Track record of applying flexible, novel approaches / trial designs to solve clinical development challenges
- Ability to design and conduct small, exploratory experiments and using the knowledge generated to quickly move into the confirmatory phase
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)Job Function
Clinical Research MD