Janssen Research and Development (R&D), L.L.C., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is seeking a Head of Biophysics located in Spring House, PA. This is a new group/role within the Janssen BioTherapeutics organization and the Head will report directly to the Vice President and Head of Biologics Development Sciences. The position is at the Senior Scientific Director level.
Janssen R&D, part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical companies of Johnson and Johnson (J&J), develops treatments that improve the health and lifestyles of people worldwide. R&D areas encompass novel targets in neurologic disorders, gastroenterology, oncology, infectious disease, diabetes, hematology, metabolic disorders, immunologic disorders, and reproductive medicine. For more about Janssen R&D, L.L.C., visit www.janssen.com/research-and-development. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion, J&J is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Head of Biophysics in Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO) will lead approximately 20 scientists in a laboratory-based organization that develops and employs biophysical and mass spectrometric methods to characterize and ensure the quality of therapeutic assets developed by JBIO. This group will ensure that pipeline assets meet the Target Molecule Profile put in place by JBIO and the Therapeutic Area for each biologic asset in order to achieve the therapeutic needs of the program. The responsibility and accountability of the Biophysics group will emanate from Hit Generation and continue through Lead Optimization and Protein Expression, culminating in final determination of biophysical and structural quality of clinical candidates entering the development portfolio. This group develops and employs methods to assess biophysical characteristics of biotherapeutics such as solubility, intact primary structure and molecular stability, post-translational modification risks, concentratability, blood/serum compatibility, thermal/chemical/pH stress, purifiability and aggregation potential. The Biophysics Head will ensure that an Early Developability Assessment is completed for each lead molecule and will then be responsible for working with Pharmaceutical Development & Manufacturing Sciences (PDMS) to characterize and assess whether key biochemical and biophysical parameters are met through Pharmaceutical Development Advisory Council review prior to becoming a clinical candidate.
The Head of Biophysics will lead or contribute to other business critical initiatives such as employee leadership development, strategic growth plans of JBIO, recruiting, business due diligence activities, development of external alliances or work outsourcing arrangements necessary to meet JBIO’s goals and deliverables. He or she will be a mentor and coach to key scientific staff and guide/enable their professional development, and contribute to effective succession planning at JBIO. Responsible for the development of all employees within the department by supporting the development of Human Resources Planning (HRP) programs including management development and training to meet current and future business needs. Provide an environment, which encourages the company's commitment to equal employment opportunity and the value of a diverse work force.
• Provide strategic and technical leadership to the organization on scientific and management matters.
• Provide biochemical and biophysical expertise at all stages of biologic discovery to enable fulfillment of the target molecule profile (TMP) for all biologics programs.
• Build/maintain an industry leading team in biophysical and structural characterization and understanding of biologics, especially proteins and antibodies.
• Create career development opportunities for key talent within the company to assume leadership roles
• Recruit key scientific staff from the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry and academia, as needed
• Represent the organization to senior management and peer groups within Janssen and Johnson & Johnson
• Maintain strong scientific network in academia and the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry to enable external interactions, consulting and recruiting
• Be a mentor/coach to key scientific staff and guide/enable their career/professional development
• Education: Ph.D. with at least 12 years of scientific experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry within research & biophysical characterization of novel biotherapeutics is required
• Proven management experience of a team of expert biophysical and structural biology scientists required
• Significant experience in managing diverse scientific teams in a complex matrix environment required
• Strong leadership skills with highly collaborative instincts required
• Strong technical knowledge of biophysical characteristics in development of biopharmaceuticals required.
• Up to 20% travel required
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.