MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management with operations in nearly 50 countries and leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. With 2015 total Operating Revenues of ~$70 billion, MetLife is ranked #39 on the Fortune 500 list and #50 on the Forbes Global 2000 list of the world's largest public companies. Globally, the company has ~69,000 employees serving approximately 100 million customers, individuals and businesses, including 90 of the FORTUNE 100®. MetLife is also one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with a $508.2 billion general account portfolio at December 31, 2015. In 2015, FORTUNE Magazine's World's Most Admired Company survey named MetLife #1 in the Life and Health Insurance industry.
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial. Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers' lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial (the "Company") is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company's mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable. DEPARTMENT: Finance THE ROLE:
The Vice President of Capital Strategy and Planning is a newly-created position to develop a holistic view of the Company's capital requirements.This position will partner across the company to manage requirements under all relevant capital regimes including:
Location: Charlotte, NC Key Responsibilities:
- US Solvency (NAIC RBC)
- International Solvency (as applicable)
- Rating agency capital models
- Any potential capital requirements that becomes relevant if Brighthouse Financial is named a domestic and/or global Systemically Important Institution under regulation by the Federal Reserve.
- This Vice President will provide decision support through effective reporting to the Treasurer and Executive management in connection with capital management activities.
- S/he will partner with Finance, Risk and all businesses to understand capital requirements under base case and projections as well as stressed market conditions.
- This executive will develop strategies to support the effective deployment of capital in compliance with all relevant policies.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONSBusiness Knowledge/Technical Skills: Key Qualifications
- Manage capital projection process (dividends, contributions, M&A transactions etc.) to support cash flow forecast
- Partner with Risk and Finance to measure capital needs under business as usual and stress conditions; assist in the development of a global statutory stress testing framework
- Develop appropriate reports to drive the strategic management of capital for the Treasurer, Executive Management and the Board of Directors
- Assess and analyze evolving and newly emerging regulatory and rating agency capital requirements and recommend actions where appropriate
- Provide thought leadership in understanding the company's position in capital requirements and developing recommendations to the businesses
- Partner with businesses to support decisions that drive effective capital management; ensure regular and effective two-way communication
- Partner with the [head of Liquidity Risk] in Treasury to ensure connectivity with Liquidity Stress Modeling
- Partner with the [head of Capital Markets Transactions] in Treasury to evaluate Capital Contingency Model and capital management transactions
- Develop an effective team to meet growing regulator challenges
Other Personal Characteristics:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in insurance capital management with deep understanding of NAIC RBC and rating agency capital models (S&P and Moody's)
- Strong finance, accounting (US GAAP, Stat), actuarial and risk management skills. Actuarial qualification preferred.
- Strategic and analytical thinker with ability to focus on details and synthesize into actionable requirements
- Critical Competencies for Success:
- Solid understanding of strategic capital management under a broad range of economic and business scenarios
- Experience with life insurance products is desirable
- Experience with life insurance capital management transactions preferred
- Strategic and Analytical Skills:
- Thought leadership regarding capital requirements and recommendations regarding business impact
- Ability to synthesize complex concepts into actionable steps
Leadership Competencies: Thinks Strategically -
- High personal impact, self-starter, critical thinker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven success as a leader and manager; develop and manage a newly-created function in a newly separated entity
- Team player with ability to develop and sustain effective relationships across the company
Sets direction aligned to the company's strategy, applying internal and external perspective to meet business needs. Creates Partnerships
- Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives. Drives Results
- Accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards. Models our Values
- Promotes the company's values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace. Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop. Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job. Internal Use Only: R3