Head of Design and UX
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We were the first company to develop and offer mass customization and personalization of credit card products, and we have been innovating relentlessly ever since. Today we are a high-tech company, a scientific laboratory, and a nationally recognized brand all in one that reaches tens of millions of consumers. We are a passionate and entrepreneurial team that embraces bold ideas, fosters collaboration and delivers great consumer experiences.
We are working to change the way people engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It’s audacious work at a massive scale. Here you’ll find a band of design thinkers: designers, researchers, hackers, engineers, rockers, artists, entrepreneurs, and data scientists. As a team, we come to work every day looking to build digital experiences that are authentic & bold.
Over 50% of Americans are not confident that they will have enough money for their future goals. In Seattle, we’re on an ambitious journey to reimagine how customers secure their financial futures and power their dreams through easy-to-understand and must-have investing experiences. We’re looking for an experienced and passionate Design Director to provide strategy, direction, and leadership to transform the end-to-end multichannel digital experience and inspire confidence in how customers interact with their financial futures.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
As the Head of Design and UX, you drive the design; establishing guiding tenets for design and encouraging team members to seek innovation and iteratively work towards perfection in service of these principles. This leadership is about more than the project itself; it’s about getting the best from each individual so that they are engaged and thriving in a creative, customer-first environment. You examine all aspects of a design problem and provide elegant solutions while maintaining a beautiful and usable aesthetic that supports the brand.
What You Will Have:
- Familiarity with and ability to lead the end-to-end design process, design strategy, research, synthesis, ideation, to execution
- Overall ownership of the user experience of the end-to-end product
- Thought leadership by contributing subject matter expertise in the areas of information architecture, design systems, interaction design, visual design, user experience best practices, user research, and online user behavior
What You Will Do:
- Immerse yourself in an environment in which you will have broad autonomy to help articulate and execute a plan to address customer and market opportunities -- testing and iterating in small-scale pilots to validate concepts at start up speed.
- Work closely with autonomous teams of Engineers, Data Scientists, Researchers, Product Managers, and Senior Management to align the product development strategy with target audience needs, brand positioning, revenue goals, and team resources
- Champion and put in practice use state-of-the art methods for working backwards from customers including: Design Thinking, Design Sprints, and LEAN.
- Lead design strategy activities to understand user needs & business opportunities uncover user needs, generate potential solutions, craft a holistic vision for the end-to-end product and develop roadmaps for achieving that future
- Lead design activities to explore different approaches in search of the “best” experience that balances user needs and business goals
- Define and manage the user research plan and incorporate findings into the design process
- Present and communicate research and analysis clearly and effectively across various organizations. Sell, support, explain, and present usability approach and research to various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers
- Evangelize experience led design processes and guide other team members
- Act as (or partner with) Creative Director to adhere to and expand the C1 Brand & Digital Design Standards
- Mentor and support team members; understanding their strengths and weaknesses and recommending projects and training to help them develop; recommend promotions and growth opportunities; Experiment with new tools and techniques to improve our work. Recruit and hire additional team members as needed.
What You Will Bring:
- Established track record leading UX and design teams
- Leader with a history of success working across organizational boundaries
- Ability to energize, lead and/or guide meetings
- Ability to manage as well as create user interface and user interaction design
- Demonstrated track record of designing for mobile experiences
- Project management experience as it applies to design deliverables (familiarity with dual-track agile: both iterative planning for evolving CX, and multi-period plan driven approaches for new product development)
- Needs to be comfortable in complex technical environments
- Experience in highly iterative, prototype & experiment-driven environments
- Experience working with Agile product development teams
- Familiarity with Design Thinking and Lead Methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of experience in multi-channel digital product design and strategy
- At least 5 years of experience in managing direct and indirect teams of associates to deliver goals and objectives
- Master’s degree
- 5 years of experience with web design across a variety of industries
- 3 years of experience working with digital agencies
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.